Just upgraded - help please!!

novahobbies

So, by fair providence, luck, or the old Uncle Sam return check, I've gotten a chance to upgrade from my 55 gallon SW LPS reef to a brand-spankin' new 110 high aquarium that's pre-drilled with the overflow!
I'm absolutely beside myself in wanting to get this set up, and done properly, but I need some help with a burning question:
How do I safely transfer the fish and corals once said tank is ready, and (most importantly) am I gonna kick off a new cycle? I'm thinking probably yes, but here's what I plan to do. I hope someone can read this and tell me if I'm on the right track or way off base, 'cause it's the first time I've tried a transfer like this.
1: After setting up the DIY sump/refugium, leak-testing everything, etc, I'm going to go buy two 30-gallon rubbermaid totes and fill them with the most of the water from the 55 gallon tank. Fish and a couple rocks will go in one tote, along with the emperor 400 HOB filter that was being used for filtration. One powerhead in this tote also. The second tote will be for the rest of the live rock, two powerheads in this tote to keep the water moving.
2: Now that the 55 is essentially empty (just wet sand) I'll move the 55 out of the way and slide the 110 in its place. Thank goodness for nylon sliders and tile floor! The wet sugar sand from the 55 tank is going to go down in the refugium section of the sump, I figure about half of the sand for a good deep LSB. The rest of the established sugar sand will go in the display, and mixed with bags of live sand for the display sand bed.
3: Here's where I feel like I'm running into a problem. I have to fill the new tank with essentially sterile salt water from my LFS. The established water (well, sans water changes, but you know what I mean!!) will be in the totes with the fishies, so I don't want to stress them any more than regular water changes would do.
4: Now the water's in the tank, the LR from the rock-only tote will be added to the display. I'll probably keep a piece or two in the fish tote along with fake corals to allow the fish their hiding places during this process. I'm adding more live rock, of course, but I'm also trying something entirely new: a technique called live-framing I read about in Marine Fish and Reef 2008 annual. So a lot of the rock is going to be bare tufa rock, seeded with LR, to decrease costs. The actual new live rock is going to do its cycle in another tote while I'm putting this together, so by the time rock is ready to add to the 110 display, it will be completely cured. So here's the final set-up, live sand, established sand in the refugium, established live rock, but sterile water.
Is this going to set off a major cycle? If so, how long can I safely keep the fish in the tote? How long do you think I should wait before returning the fish to the new system? I guess after all this reading these are the main questions I have, but I wanted to post my strategy to make sure it's going to be effective. Any help would be much appreciated!

mike15

It sounds pretty good. Thats how I changed aquariums but there are a few things you may want to consider.
1. Save as much of the origional, clean tank water as possible to go into the 110. This will help to reduce the chance of a major cycle.
2. How deep is your sand bed in the 55? If you do plan on reusing it in the sump of the 110, you may want to save the top inch of sand to preserve the beneficial bacteria and use it as a top layer of the 110. Also, anything below the top inch of origional sand should be rinsed before being reused since lower levels of the bacteria will die when exposed to air/ oxygenated water while moving and could produce ammonia if not cleaned.
3. I'm really glad you are using rollers to move the tank since lifting tanks (especially with sand in them) can be disasterous!
That is pretty much all I can think of. Your plan seems good. There may be a minor cycle but, if you save as much origional water and reuse the top inch of origional sand to reseed the cycle will be small to unnoticable. When I moved from a 30 to a 55 the cycle was unnoticable but I guess I was working with smaller systems.
I would say you could probably place the fish back into the 110 as soon as the water clears up from the process of adding sand and rock. If you are really concerned about another cycle, you could always set up a QT tank on the side and keep the fish in there for a month or so to avoid any possible cycle in the 110. Hope this helps,
Mike15.

novahobbies

Thanks for the kind words! The sand bed in the current 55 is NOT a DSB -- it averages 2-2.5 inches only. I doubt I have much anaerobic ativity going on in that bed. I figure I'll put a 5-6 inch bed in the fuge, roughly 30 lbs, so I'll still take the advice of saving the top inch of the current sand bed for the display and using the bottom inch for the fuge.
How's this as a plan for the water: on the day of the final move, I'll have 60 gallons of water in the new tank, then do a water change on the fish totes. rather than chucking the changed water from the tote, I'll reserve it for acclimation bags, and the rest of the tote water will go into the new tank to complete the fill. After that, it's just a matter of floating the fish and drip-acclimating them!
My QT tank is too small for more than 2 fish at a time, and besides, the LPS corals are all going to be hanging out in there, as it's the only other tank with sufficient lighting.
I'm so excited! I have a showpiece green mandarin in the 55 now (yes, I have a HOB fuge for chaeto, lots of LR, pods, etc) and I can't wait to let him in a bigger environment. He's an absolute clown, likes to climb to the top of the live rock and surf the current back down. I wonder if he'll like a 30 inch drop better than an 18 inch?

novahobbies

Now of course I'm already starting to think about what I want to add to this tank! I'd love a chevron tank to be my centerpiece, and maybe a kole tang. naso tangs are beautiful but too big for this size tank.....maybe a couple evansi anthias. Hmmm.....

windlasher

Im about to go through something similar.
I have a 90 FOWLR which is pretty established and a 40 Reef that I am just getting going. I also just bought a NEW 220 Gal and a 60 Gallon Frag Display tank, but I can set that up whenever.
I am moving house in about a month. And I am dreading moving the 90 which has most of my stock in it. There is a PBT in the reef having just been released from QT.
I bought 4 30 Gal Drums and 4 55 Gal Drums. I am going to take water from the tank and put the fish in one of the 30s, Live rock in another and sand in yet another. I am going to pump all of the water from the 40 into one 55 drum and the water from the 90 into two of the 55s. I purchased a bunch of battery operated pumps to keep things going during the move. The 4th 55 drum is so that the week before I am going to do a few water changes and save the water for the LR with an filter and a hang on skimmer.
And before the more clever of you ask ☺ I am going to load the water drums onto a trailer BEFORE I pump the water into them. The LR and fish, I can handle with a dolly.
Then I am going to pump the water right back from the drums into the tanks.
Im pretty sure this is going to piss off my life stock especially the PBT who seems to get psychotic whenever someone raises their voice, but hopefully I am saving enough to prevent a huge cycle.
I hope it works.

novahobbies

LOL no worries. As it is, I'm in limbo until my aquatraders order comes in sometime week after next, plus I have to go buy the skimmer and drill the stand for the plumbing. So I have a decent laundry list of chores to do before I get to the fish part, but of course, like the little green puppet said, "Always have I looked away to the future...never my mind on where I was...what I was doing!"

Right now I've got about 10 more lbs of tufa rock soaking in my two tanks. I figure I'll start the seeding process now so the bacteria may start to colonize before I build my live frames. Think I'll drill the stand today and go get the skimmer and sump tank...at least I'll feel like work has been accomplished.