Just Upgraded Lighting

rockman1133

Just upgraded my 75 gal Reef tank to MH. Any suggestions on acclimating the tank to the new lights? The new lights are a 2 x 250 w MH and 2 x 40w Coral Sun (actinic). I upgraded from a 4 x 65w pc. The new lights are retro installed in the hood (9 inches from the water).
I am planning on having the actinic come on 1 hr before the MH and staying on 1 hr after. The MH on aprox 8 hrs or so.
The tank has been up and running for aprox 9 months and I really dont want to shock tank or burn any corals currently in the tank (green brain/colt coral/various mush/frogspan). Any help or advise would be great.. Thanks...
*** ps.. will try to get pics today

dima96

my toughts are move the coral down in the tank and to one side and then turn the other side on. do it like for a week ir two then fire both bulb with the corals low in the tank for another week or two, and then slowly move them to where you want them. hope this helps or someone has a better idea.

nm reef

I think I'd just reduce the photo period to about one half and slowly increase it over a few weeks. :cool:
Maybe run the supplimental lighting the full 10 hours and start with the MH on for 3-4 hrs per day. Every few days increase the MH photo period until you have them on for the full day.:cool:
NMREEF website
“Whiskey for my men...beer for my horses.”
nmreef@cox.net

attml

I am with NM Reef! When I went from 260w of PC to a MH/VHO combo I cut my photo period in half then added 10 minutes per day. Everything acclimated well doing it that way!