Just water, how long is too long?

Ok!
I finally have all of my equipment and plumbing assembled, have the RO/DI system working. Only problem is that I am woefully depleted of cash for the moment. :(
Question:
Can I fill up the tank, sump and refugium with salt water and let the whole system run for a while before adding anything?
This is a 125 gallon tank and it will require a substantial amount of liverock. I would like to get the $$$ together and buy it all (or most) at once to cycle the tank. My husband wants to just put
something
in it, even if it is just water. I admit, I would be nice to test all of the equipment. plumbing, water tests for a while.
But how long is too long? I am worried that I will just encourage some strange algae growth or worse it I let this run for a long time w/o stuff in it.
I have four bags of aragamax sand that I could throw in the refugium or tank. But, I am planning to order live sand with the live rock.
I figure that it will be a month or two before we get the ls/ lr.
I appreciate all suggestions and advice.
Thanks,
-Christine

javatech

add the sand and do a fishless cycle with a raw shrimp. then you can add the live sand on top of that when you have the money

S

sebae0

agreed go ahead run it and start cycling it with raw shrimp or even put some flake in to decay, it will give you a head start for when you get your lr and sand. becareful though when you add the live rock and sand you will probably get a mini cycle. so keep any fish out for the time being.