just what the heck is low/med/high LIGHTING?????????

C

cowbuoy

I just got the coral chart on the new forum and it lists lighting as low med high -- also very high and extremely high :rolleyes:
well ----what is low,,,,,,etc
fyi -- I have a 50 gallon with 200 watts compact fluoresent
ie 4watts/gallon
is this low, med or high
(i am guessing medium)

jon-paul

I guess its medium but what is this coral chart. It could be very wrong if it judges by watts per gallon. Where is it or do you have a pic?

C

cowbuoy

there is a member with a post on the new hobbiest forum that will email it to you

T

therock0861

Low - Medium Low I would say you are high on something. If that is low lighting then I will quit this hobby right now because all the research I have done has referred to Med lighting being 3-4 watts per gallon. If I am mistaken let me know before I buy something and it dies because I don't have enough lighting with 260 watts PC for a 55 gallon.

C

cowbuoy

thanks rock
I was thinkin that too
but I am trying to get a concensus so...................:cool: lol

michaeltx

it all depends certain corals need more light.
most you can go by this.
NO=LOW LIGHTING
VHO=medium-moderate lighting
PC=medium-moderate lighting
MH=high lighting
HQI=Xhigh lighting.
I think 260 on a 55 is medium to High lighting but not an intense lighting that things such as SPS and clams need
the WPG rule was a good rule of thumb when it got started but now its more of what intensity of light you have. 250 watts of PC vs 250 MH the MH will be more intense light even though they are the same wattage.
depending on what size tank and how many watts and type of light you have will determine what you can keep sucessfuly.
HTH
Mike

T

therock0861

Thanks for the info I think that cleared it up for me.

gatorcsm

IMO, low/med/high would have to take into consideration the intensity and wattage. It would have to also take into consideration where the corals would be placed in the tank.
If you were going to place the corals near the top of the tank, then that would probably be on the high side of medium lighting.
But other than the top, I think DvSkin has it right, medium-low lighting. You couldn't allow something that required medium/moderate lighting to thrive on the bottom as well as it would do if you had more intense lighting.
The root of the problem with watts per gallon and any thumbrule for that matter:
Assuming you have two tanks; All are 24" high (water depth) 18" deep (front to back) and then one is 1 ft wide, the second is 2ft wide.
You take the 1 ft wide tank and put 12" bulbs (these are just some fictituous bulb...) that are 50 watts each. You have 2 over this tank.
The next tank has 2 ft long bulbs (since it's a 2ft long tank) and they are 100 watts each.
The first tank now has 100 watts and the second has 200 watts.
You practically have no difference in the lighting of these tanks... Now if you took the longer bulbs, and put them over the first tank, you would now have 200 watts over the 1 ft long tank... Again, you practically have no difference in lighting, since lighting per square inch, square ft, etc... has not really changed. The intensity has not increaded/decreased, simply put longer lights over it. You have effectively kept the same amount of light but doubled your watts per gallon.
There are of course studies that do this sort of test, and yes, you would have a little more light, but not near what the watts per gallon would make you think..
You could prob get more complicated, and compare it to something on the order of the microscopic cross section of absorbtion, and say that there is a given amount of energy in each area given off by the bulbs. What are the chances of that energy interacting with the specimen or interacting with water and never reaching the coral on an atomic/molecular level; if you doubled the intensity (or energy across that area) you have now practically doubled the chance for absorbtion, effectively increasing the microscopic cross section of absorbtion due to having twice the energy to make it through the molecules of water and now available for interaction with the coral.
And ofcourse, the deeper the tank, the more watts you will need per given area to get as deep, erego, mh for deep tanks, since they are the only one intense enough to provide the high watts in a compact area.
Ok, that may be too far off track. Oh well... Anyway
I agree if DvSkin and Michael
The key to high lighting is intensity.
Gator

reefnut

I agree and disagree 2- wpg of PC lighting wouldn't be Medium lighting nor would a 175w MH on a 48in deep tank be high lighting
Its really a case by case and although the wpg doesn't work well it IMO does give us something to go by
When considering the wpg rule the type of lights and dept of the tank has to be taken into account

michaeltx

depending on what size tank and how many watts and type of light you have will determine what you can keep sucessfuly.
exactly LOL
Mike

reefnut

Sorry :rolleyes: I just understood what everyone was talking about
Classifying the types of light as LowMediumHigh and then the amount of wattage as LowMediumHigh
Hence- Medium-Low Lighting
My bad:eek:

tcduongxx

:eek:
Try this rule. As much light you can afford. The more the better.
You can never meet the same volume as the natural sun.
Good luck.

spsfreak100

Watts per gallon is not a very good method of determining light requirements. Following this "rule of thumb", 100 watts over a five-gallon tank (20w/g) appears much better than that same 100 watts over a ten-gallon tank (10w/g), but the intensity is lacking in both cases. One hundred watts is still one hundred watts, no matter how you slice it. Intensity is the key, the more the better.
Quote by Eric Borneman: “if a coral, for example, requires 15,000 lux to saturate, it needs to get that amount of light regardless of tank size._ So, if a 175 watt metal halide puts out 17,500 lux at the water surface and 8,000 lux ten inches down, it’s enough light for the coral at the surface but not at the bottom.”
Low - Medium Low I would say you are high on something. If that is low lighting then I will quit this hobby right now because all the research I have done has referred to Med lighting being 3-4 watts per gallon. If I am mistaken let me know before I buy something and it dies because I don't have enough lighting with 260 watts PC for a 55 gallon.
Read above statement. You've obviously obtained false (or vague) information which is leading you to think that "3-4" watts per gallon is a medium amount of lighting. As said above, wpg is not an accurate way of determining a certain amount of lighting, intensity is what matters (which is why 400wts of halides is much better than 400wts of PC's, even though they're both 4 watts per gallon on a 100 gallon tank).
Graham

sammystingray

Going by what the books seem to use for L/M/H......and going by the actual lights and actual tank size and depth using a standard 50 gallon....I would tend to agree with low to medium. green open brains, bubble corals, and softies.....that kind of stuff. Very very far from high lighting though. When I had 440 watts on a 75 gallon I considered it medium. Many of the SPS tanks full of color you see on these pages have over a thousand watts, and some I've seen have a couple thousand watts......these are "high" lighting.:D

sammystingray

TheRock0861, BTW your 55 gallon is probably the exact same depth as my 75 was....the light traveled the same distance through the water...."watts per gallon" is absolutely useless to a point, and very misleading in my opinion. Your 55 basically needs the same light as a 75 gallon since the water is the same depth, and the lengths are both 48 inches. Of course I am using the most common 55 to compare. A "55 gallon deep" needs less lighting the the "standard 55 gallon".....less water depth, same length, so again watts per gallon is useless........two tanks, same gallons, need different lights.
:) If you turned your 55 on it's side and sealed it up......a 400 watt halide wouldn't even work to get to the bottom of four feet of water.

kelldog4

This thread has had some good info for me - I have been dealing with this lighting issue. I have very limited cash and also very limited space for lighting due to the way my tank is set up.
Anyway. Would a better way to decide on lighting be to
1.select the corals you want to have in your tank
2. determine the lux/intensity that coral needs to thrive
3. place the coral at a depth in your tank that provides that intensity
What I am trying to get at here is that perhaps if I am very selective about the types of corals and very selective about placement - I may not need $500.00 worth of lighting
Is there a source on the internet that lists different corals and their light requirements? And I mean more specifically than low/med/high.
How does T5 lighting fit into the intensity spectrum
Right now I only have 70w of NO 1 35w 100% actinic and 1 35w Daylight on my 60gal tank. However, the bulbs are less than 1" above the surface of the water. How much difference does that make?