Kati Ani Anyone?

truperc

I know the RO/DI units are the typical water filtration method for reefers...at least in the U.S.
I do like the concept of no/minimal waste water with a Kati Ani unit, and no filters to purchase.
Anyone using these? Downsides (other than caustic chemicals for regen)?

E

eric b 125

i've never heard of this, but i'm damn sure going to investigate.

aquaknight

Can't link but, thefilterguys.biz have a section on Kati Ani. They don't give suggested life expectancy unfortunately. But do mention something interesting, chlorine or Chloramine will shorten the media's life. So if your tap contains either, which anyone except those on wells have, you'll need to run a carbon prefitler anyways.
The other thing is price, but its still new tech.

truperc

Here is the knowledge I have been given already on the KATI ANI units, but I was asking the question to see if there was any additional information.
1. KATI ANI unit produces no waste water during the purification process. There is some waste water produced during the re-charge process, but this is minor relative to the waste water produced by a RO/DI unit.
2. KATI ANI produces the same amount of GPD (380) regardless of the size of the unit you purchase. The difference in unit size relates to the frequency of re-charge required.
3. KATI ANI is re-chargeable so there is no need to purchase filters over and over again. (Carbon pre-filter I will address)
4. The re-charge frequency is highly dependent on the input water's TDS and GH, but this is true of RO/DI as well.
5. KATI ANI does not require high water pressure, so booster pumps will not be necessary.
6. KATI ANI changes color when it is time for a re-charge.
7. If your water is very high in chlorine or derivatives, this can bleach the media in your unit. This can make it difficult to determine when you need to re-charge. A carbon pre-filter can be used to mitigate this situation.
8. One fellow reefer calulated his costs for RO/DI would be over $.07 per gallons whereas the KATI ANI costs less than half a cent per gallon. I am not sure of all of the considerations he took into account to come up with these numbers, but it is generally accepted that KATI ANI is significantly cheaper than RO/DI in the cost per gallon.
9. The most significant drawback to the KATI ANI unit is the re-charge process, which requires the use of caustic chemicals (Muriatic Acid and Sodium Hydroxide). Special care needs to be taken when using these chemicals.
10. This technology has been around for a long time in Europe, but has only recently seen a small amount of traction in the U.S. The overall life of the media has yet to be determined, but there is reportedly people in Europe that are still using their original media after a decade of use. (I have not seen a scientific paper confirming this claim, so take it for what it is worth)
When I was researching these units, I felt the positives far outweighed the negatives and was surprised it was not used by almost anyone in the US. (There are some notable exceptions Anthony Calfo and Steve Pro, and clearly others that are less well known)
Since they are barely used in the U.S. it made me concerned I was missing something significant, thus the question I was asking.

small triggers

I'm just gonna throw my 2 cents in and let yall know what you can do with waste water.....you can water your plants with it you could even plumb it back into your toilet (if in the same room) and use it for tank refill,,, you could use it to wash your dog...there are ways to use the water and personally for the cost difference i would go with the standard RO/DI unit,, and to let some of yall know if you are on an aquifer (not a well but a community watertable) it also is NOT treated with chlorine...

truperc

Originally Posted by small triggers
http:///forum/post/3172325
I'm just gonna throw my 2 cents in and let yall know what you can do with waste water.....you can water your plants with it you could even plumb it back into your toilet (if in the same room) and use it for tank refill,,, you could use it to wash your dog...there are ways to use the water and personally for the cost difference i would go with the standard RO/DI unit,, and to let some of yall know if you are on an aquifer (not a well but a community watertable) it also is NOT treated with chlorine...
I appreciate your input.
While I do recognize there are uses for the waste water, most people I have spoken to acknowledge the quantity of waste water exceeds the amounts they can find use for.
I guess this depends on each individuals living requirements, and willingness to make use of their waste water in the various different ways.