keep eel from escaping

pferboy

i know eels will try to escape, so what is the best way to cover up the back of my glass tank? or is there a type of eel that is less likely to try to get out? does the size of the eel matter?
let me know what works for you.

killyah

there is alot of ways to cover it up. glass,plastic,egg crate,duck tape, screen, many many more. but for me , my tanks are topless no lids or anything , just an open top the way i like it so i can view from the top. what i did tho is i leave 3 inches of water off before the tanks top rim. so my tank is not full to the top.also i keep them happy with losts of caves and underground tunnels. i had my eels now for a year and a half and not 1 has jumped out.. it has worked for me it might not work for u tho. just a friendly warning. Good luck.

pferboy

my lfs owner also told me that if an eel jumped out that it could live for a couple of hours out of the water. is this true?

S

simm

Can you live underwater for a couple of hours? I dont think they can!

They can live outside water for a few hours, I dont know how this happens but it is true since this has happened to some of my friends.

donkeykong

Eels will form a mucas shell around them if they jump out of water. There are stories of up to 8 hour of them surviving out side of water. When you put them back in the shell breaks away and your clean up crew should take care of it.