Keeping 2 Anemones

Okay so I have a Condy Anemome and was looking to buy maybe a Rose Amemone. I have a 125 gallon tank with tons of space. The Condy has its location as hasn't moved (must have liked the spot I picked for him). I hear stories of chemical warfare...Can this be done? Should it work out?

lmecher

Yes it can be done and is quite frequently. Will it work out, can't say, maybe.
I have heard this same question asked over and over. I have looked for answers and came across many examples of why not to mix species and may who have been successful. I would not mix species but that is must my opinion. If you do decide to go ahead keep them at a distance and run activated charcoal. Since you asked...
I have more but don't wish to start a debate, just passing along information I have come across. Good Luck
coppied from ultimatereef.net
MIXING ANEMONES
The fascination for keeping anemones can become so much that you may want to add another to your aquarium. As you have read above, anemones contain stinging cells, and in addition to facilitating feeding they are also used for protection - against predators and also other organisms that may want to pinch their prime location! This can sometime be born out in the aquarium when the keeper introduces another anemone.
One anemone may discharge nematocysts in order to "fight off" another anemone at distance. This can be loosely termed as allelopathy. This allelopathy can result in the burning of corals, and stinging of other anemones in the aquarium. Hence, it is not uncommon for an anemone a keeper has previously keep alive and healthy for months/years, to suddenly decline when a new anemone is introduced.
Broadly speaking, one should be OK keeping multiple numbers of the same species, and difficulty only arrives when differing species share the aquarium. One must bear in mind the potency of one species nematocysts against the other. Unless you have experience of this, then before you attempt to keep two species together, you should obtain advice from others who have experience (why not post here!).
Generally, one can reduce the impact of allelopathy by running activated carbon and promoting heavy skimming.

lexluethar

I agree 100% with Lmecher. Mixing anemones can work and have worked. It really just depends on the environment, species, and how the individual anemones act. 125 gallons should be PLENTY of room for two anemones, but that is assuming they both setup shop at opposite ends of the tank. As we all know anemones move around until they are comfortable, and that 'perfect' spot that the anemones want to go to could be right next to eachother. In which case they would probably attack eachother (via chemicals or brushing their tenticles against eachother).
I said go for it and if the setup shot far away and you dont' see any adverse signs of corals dieing or the anemones looking damaged then your safe. But remember if you end up doing this be prepared to wake up one morning and see one anemone moved all the way accross your tank and next to the other anemone. Just be ready to return one of the anemones if necessary.
Oh and run active carbon on the system to negate toxic chemicals.

jpgnmt

I think I lucked out and my LFS had gotten anemones several weeks ago and they had attached to a small-medium piece of live rock. I bought the rock and the anemones and so far it has stayed where I put the rock moving in a 90 degree arc through out the day. I added a second one on the other side of the tank and it is staying put as well. It comes out of the center of the rock where the original one comes out the side. More expensive to buy a rock, covered with mushrooms but easier for me than dropping in a n anemone and wondering where he will end up.
J