keeping bio filter going with no fish and quarenting

bbreaux1

my last two clowns died yesterday from ich i still have a shrimp starfish and some snails hermits and conchs in the tank. i plan on leaving it fishless for 4 weeks how can i keep my biofilter alive so i can avoid a recycle? also im going to quarentine this time around but im not around to monitor it during the week i just have someone come feed it. if i get a 30gal quarentine and do hypo will the salinity stay pretty stable during the week and if so does the biofilter stay active during hypo? or what is my best alternative for quarentining with some type of treatment that does not have to be monitored constantly

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You have to feed the inverts that are in your main tank, thus, recycling is not an issue. Stars, crabs and snails have to eat too. Feed less in accordance with the fish livestock depletions.
No, you will need to have someone top off your water as needed to maintain hypo, and test the salinity daily. QT's pretty much require daily attention while fish are in them. Otherwise, it kinda defeats the purpose as someone needs to be looking at the QTed specimens for health, sickness, etc.

bbreaux1

what is the range of salinity the tank can be in for hypo? i have an automatic top off that i madebut im not sure what range it can keep it in

beth

Administrator
Staff member
There is no range. It must be maintained at exactly 1.009. Anything less than that can be detrimental to fish. More than that, will be ineffecting for killing parasites.
Perhap minimizing your evaporation but ensuring the your cover is pretty well buttoned up, leaving minimum venting for gas exchange. Not idea, but you can try that.
In a relatively barren 20 gal QT, which is what I have, that is in a cool location, I really don't have much evap problems.

bbreaux1

i was thinking about 20-30 gallon something from walmart probibly. are the floating glass hyd rometers accuarte enough or im guessing id need a refratormeter im sure youve posted all this info before i just dont have the time to go back and look for it much right now and trying to figure out if i got the $ and time to restock or if ill give it up for a while thanks for any help

beth

Administrator
Staff member
A glass hydrometer has given pretty accurate results for me when I test it against my refractometer. You can get a refract online for about $70.
If you plan on adding bigger fish, then shoot for the 30gal. If you acquire smaller fish, or juveniles, then the 20 will do. QT is usually used for 1 fish at time, unless you have a mated pair or a small school you want to add. My QT is a 20L, but I'm pretty much stocking smaller reef fish. You don't really have to have overhead lighting, but it helps to an extent so you can look at the fish more closely to check for health/disease. I like the Eclipse Hood, and I've now also added one of Fluval's underwater PH's which also is equipped with a media compartment. The Eclipse hood is pretty convenient because it has the filters and lighting, but it doesn't give much room for expanding equipment options on the QT.
You're right, I have said stuff over and over, which is why, after many member requests, I went thru the trouble to write up a very detailed info sheet on QT. I’m not employed by SWF.com, I’m a volunteer moderator. I work full-time, and, in addition, I spend about 10+ hrs here trying to help SWF.com members out, particularly in the Disease Forum. When members tell me they don’t have time to do research, my response is, then don’t take up this hobby. The marine aquaria hobby is not like collecting stamps, where you can put it aside when you don’t have time. We deal with live animals and living ecosystems that require daily care. Most of my spare time is spent on this hobby, reading and researching being no small part of what I do, or what any serious hobbyists needs to do. I’m not saying you have to spend your whole life taking care of your fish tank, but if you don’t have time to research or if you aren’t available all week to do some “quality” time with your tank and live pets, then perhaps you should reconsider getting in to this hobby at this point.