Keeping care of acrylic tanks

tony s

I just started my collections and have two 40g and one 135g tanks. I hear from some that these are easy to scratch.
Whats the best preventive steps I can take to maximize they clarity over time?

leopard_babe

I don't know much about acrylic. But if you clean your tank with a magnet make sure that there is no sand in it. The sand will scratch the tank. You just have to be careful that whatever you are using to clean the tank is very very clean. Make sure that there are no pieces of sharp or crusty dirt, that could possibly scratch the tank. Maybe someone else could give you a little more help.

jjetjock

Make sure everything that you use says safe for acrylic. The cleaning magnet most say it also. If you have kids or anyone who likes to play when they see that magnet then DO NOT leave it in the tank. Murphys law says they will pick up sand with it an ruin the tank. I lost one that way. Also be very carful when placing rocks and corals. If it can fall off its perch it is a scratch waitting to happen. Snails, crabs and starfish can knock it over and look out.

bdhough

I have successfully used a razor blade on an acrylic tank. YOu have to be super careful but it is doable. I used to do it in front of the owner of the LFS and if he thought it was ok then.....
Like i said be VERY careful and it works great. Slow and deliberate

calvindo

i dont think theres any special way to clean an acrylic tank. just be very very careful not to get sand between the tank and the scrubber.

D

daniel411

Theres an actual magfloat magnet thats just made for acrylic tanks. Also do not use window cleaner, use actual acrylic spray polish/cleaner. Purchase a buffing kit too. I'm about to order an acrylic in the next few months and looking at everything about keeping them pristine also.

reefnut

Also they have cleaners made for acrylic. Coralife makes a Acrylic Buffer/Polisher spray for the exterior of the tank. There are also soft cloths you can but that will not scratch it. I use them instead of paper towels to clean the out side.
Take every precaution you can, I thought I was being very careful but still have several scratches.
Also... Never let your kids or spouse clean the tank with the magnet cleaner... lessen learned for me :(.

D

daniel411

Reefnut, have you buffed/polished your scratches out yet? How difficult is that to do? Can you see any signs of where there used to be scratches?

reefnut

Yes I have tried. The Acrylic Buffer/Polisher spray I was refering to is just a cleaner but they do have scratch removal kits... I tried and it's a pain but if you do it right it completely removes the scratch.

D

daniel411

I've seen the coralife acrylic buffer/polisher cleaning spray and lint/static free rags that you use with it before.
How did the acrylic cleaning magnet worked when "YOU carefully used it"? Or is that just a major scratch waiting to happen also?
I can't wait to be able to tell them to start building my new tank!

reefnut

The magnets work fine... it's when a grain of sand gets stuck that you have a problem or if the felt material for the exterior gets hard with salt crust. Keep it clean and the magnets work well.

moopiespoo

I had to buff my qt. I got it second-hand. I used the scratch remover kit, cant remember the brand, took all day but now the tank looks new again. When I do cleaning now I just use a regular sponge and a litlle elbow grease.