Keeping Frogfish

halamaya

I have tried twice and failed twice to keep a frogfish alive. Both times I believe they died from eatting Tuffies. I usually feed ghost shrimp, but once in awhile I and the pet store run out. I know that frogfish are very easy to over feed. Currently in my tank, Snowflake eel, fuzzy dwarf lion, red rooster wasp fish, sculpin, picasso trigger, plesiops betta, Kleins butterfly (just got kicked out of my reef tank,) maroon clown, blue spotted puffer, yellow brittle star, green brittle, pillow star, chocolate chip star, red serpent star.
Really want a frogfish!!!

skate020

most frogfish will eat most of your fish.
if you want one, keep it solo, of with fish atleast 3 times the size of it.
frogfish are predators, they can go a fair while without food, so its not natural for it to eat everyday, that maybe why it died. alot of frogfish die from getting fed to much, and the food rotting in its stomach.
my frogfish went through my tank of fish in a couple days. im glad its still alive from eating so much.
you gotta feed them once every 2 or 3 days. depending on the size and the size of the meal.
and if you want one soo badly, i'd get rid of the following:
dwarf lion, picasso, betta, butterfly, clown, puffer. im sure on the other fish cos i dont know how big they get.
and im not sure on invert compatibility, cranberry knows alot about these so im sure he'll help.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Halamaya
http:///forum/post/3181673
I have tried twice and failed twice to keep a frogfish alive. Both times I believe they died from eatting Tuffies. I usually feed ghost shrimp, but once in awhile I and the pet store run out. I know that frogfish are very easy to over feed. Currently in my tank, Snowflake eel, fuzzy dwarf lion, red rooster wasp fish, sculpin, picasso trigger, plesiops betta, Kleins butterfly (just got kicked out of my reef tank,) maroon clown, blue spotted puffer, yellow brittle star, green brittle, pillow star, chocolate chip star, red serpent star.
Really want a frogfish!!!
How big is the tank? I've kept a couple of frogfish, but always in a species tank. I think the competion for food with your mix is going to make feeding very difficult. Also, I think its just a matter of time before the trigger , and possibly the puffer, find your lion's fins to be chew-toys. IMO & IME, aggressive triggers & lions are a dead lion waiting to happen.
BTW; A couple FW fish won't kill a SW predator. The FW feeders are way to fatty to be used often, but the problem is an accumulation of fatty substance from the feeders---and that takes a while. The biggest problem with FW feeders, IMO & IME, is that the SW fish gets used to them and is harder to wean onto healthy foods. Both of mine would eat about any SW flesh: shrimp, squid, scallops, flounder, etc; fed with a feeding stick. This is much healthier than FW shrimp, but not as much fun to watch.

halamaya

My puffer won't get very big, anythings possible with the Trigger. My Sculpin is the one thing I can't get to eat frozen or freeze dried something. Most everything eats freeze dried krill, ghost shrimp are fun to watch (kind of feel bad.) Really trying to keep my snowflake from tasting live food. One frogfish ate 2 tuffies and the first only ate 1 tuffie. The frogfish is even faster than a scorpion fish or stone fish at swallowing its prey, so cool.
I think I have bad luck gets pretty aggrivating, I try really hard to make things work. though nature is nature and it isn't always the way we want.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Halamaya
http:///forum/post/3182301
My puffer won't get very big, anythings possible with the Trigger. My Sculpin is the one thing I can't get to eat frozen or freeze dried something. Most everything eats freeze dried krill, ghost shrimp are fun to watch (kind of feel bad.) Really trying to keep my snowflake from tasting live food. One frogfish ate 2 tuffies and the first only ate 1 tuffie. The frogfish is even faster than a scorpion fish or stone fish at swallowing its prey, so cool.
I think I have bad luck gets pretty aggrivating, I try really hard to make things work. though nature is nature and it isn't always the way we want.
I've read many comments about studies showing freeze-dried krill to be a real problem, long-term. I don't have anything in front of me, but search this forum & let others post and I'm sure you'll hear more.

ironeagle2006

STOP THE FREEZE DRIED KRILL ASAP!!!!!
That stuff in the first part has NO food value and the second item about it is that it leads to blocked intestines aka the fish can not pass it and they can die from it.
They also call it Fish Crack. Yes it is cheap however it is like feeding your kids candy all day long they will never get the nutrition they need from it. I lost an Oscar back when I kept Freshies because all he was ever fed by his old owners was Freeze Dried Krill. When he died I died a quick Autospy on him and his guts were full of nothing but krill shells that it could not pass.

halamaya

Ghost shrimp loaded with marine flakes no good either? I also feed quite a bit of mysis shrimp, sometimes blood worms.. I knew the krill were defficient in necessary vitamins so I soaked them in selcon and I use a brightwells vita-c in my tanks. What should I feed, I do the clams on the half shell sometimes.

halamaya

I've tried scallops, shrimp from the grocery store (should I take the shell off?) some kind of fish. It's really only my Puffer, Sculpin, Plesiops and sometimes my eel that are fussy. Sculpin is uninterested in the feeding prong, and if my acting is good enough sometimes my PLesiops with give it a go. Think I might try the clam strips from my LFS.

P.S. Cranberry I want a wasp fish like yours!!!! Going to take a picture of mine soon, he half buries himself and hides really well when there's no food around.
I payed 60 at my LFS he knew I was going to be the one who found him hiding. Did I get a fair deal?

S

shrimpy brains

Originally Posted by skate020
http:///forum/post/3181690
cranberry knows alot about these so im sure he'll help.
Hey Renee, did you catch this.

Sorry, OP, I have no advice, but am tuned in because I also want a frogfish!

halamaya

Just got my new computer on Black Friday. He's a Red Rooster wasp fish, with a mohawk like Bart and a white face that looks exactly like a wasp.
A small guppie or ghost shrimp will dart underneath a small rock hiding from bigger prey. Just to find there's a little guy in waiting. Worried about my Lionfish, roomate saved his life today. He jumped ship for the first time afraid it's because of my trigger. Haven't seen any signs of aggression from my Trigger so far though. Calcium was a bit high (switched to Red Sea Max salt mix) but everything else looking good. He only has 2" strip down the back to jump from too.
Thinking about a Purple or orange tube anenome, any thoughts? My LFS has been looking for a reasonable priced Rhinobeous (sorry for the spelling butchery,) any experience with these? P.S. even I knew you were a girl!

halamaya

thats him alright
well sort of mine has more of a pure white face, and it seeems more flat like a wasp.