KEEPS COMING BACK SO FAST

coolperson

how much of wa water change should i do to my 80 gallon non reef tank, i have wy to much algae it keeps coming back to fast is there somthing i can do to help this or just a water change

carrie1429

What is your clean up crew like? What does the algea look like is it hair algea or is it on the glass or substrate?

carrie1429

Well if the water is dirty then I would definitely do a water change, like 25%. Also not sure if you can have snails with an eel but if you can I would reccommend getting some.

coolperson

its brown all over i have to wipe it down ONCE A DAY pissin me off i have no clean up crue can i what kind of clean up crew can i get

carrie1429

Its a good thing its not the little green dots (whitch is green coraline) thats a real pain to get off.
How large is your tank, this will determine the size of clean up crew.

carrie1429

Oh sorry didn't see the tank size. I would say around 30-35 snails, 35 hermit crabs, cleaner shrimp (if comaptable with eel). Also choc. chip starfish are really good at cleaning the algea, I have two and they do a great job.

coolperson

80 non reef i do have a snowflake eel will that harm the clean up crew
i have some 2 of those black andwhite strpied damsels they are preety mean will they do anything to the clean up crue

wrassecal

How old is your tank? When you say non reef do you mean no live rock and no substrate. If your tank is at the 1 - 4 month period or you have upgraded you lighting this brown stuff could be a diatom bloom that will go away on it's own. All the above questions/advise are good too, just depends on exactly what you have going on.

coolperson

yes i have just got an new tank like 1 month ago i had a 50 gallon and now a 80 gallon so the lighting is a higher watt now my tank has been running longer than 4 months i am pretty sure
i have no live rock or live substrate

wrassecal

Well I'm not sure I understand your 1 month 4 month thing but I'm thinking you are having a diatom bloom that will go away pretty much by itself but you definately need to use ro or di or ro/di water for top offs and changes if you aren't already. Some snails would help with current and future algae..Good luck!

coolperson

so i can put snail in with my eel and if so how much snail do i put in there plus i got 2 of the white and black striped damsles they are preety agresive will any of these fish kill the snails

carrie1429

I don't think your fish will harm the snails but I don't know about the eel. For an 80ga I would say probably 35 snails, depending on how much rock you have.

susiepan

Cool
With the eel being such a messy eater, that could be part of the problem as far as a diatom bloom, and dirty water....you need to vacuum out that substrate once and awhile with such a messy eater, if you dont have a clean-up crew...
As far as the snails go, you should get the large ones, (Trochus/Zebra), I think the eel will have no problem eating the smaller ones...Your banded damsels "shouldnt" bother the snails..
If your water is as nasty as you say, your nitrates must be off the charts, and if that remains, you will lose the tank, and whats in it...It REALLY is improtant to keep your water clean, and your levels where they should be...Do you test the water, and if so, how often??
~Susie :rolleyes:

susiepan

P.S.
I would avoid getting anything that has "LEGS" like hermits, emeralds, crabs of any sorts, because of the eel, I would also avoid getting any shrimp, unless it is a large CB (Coral Banded) and even then IMO it would be iffy..
~Susie