Kent Salt and High Calcium!

mz3bmx

I have a 24gall Aquapod w/ HQI thats about 6 months old and I started it with Kent Sea Salt because it was on sale. Now, I want to start putting some LPS and SPS corals in the tank and my parameters are:
SG: 1.024
Cal: 550
dKH: 9
pH: 8.1
Temp: 79°
I made a fresh batch of salt water using RO/DI water and before I poured it into the tank I tested the Calcium and it was already at 500. Bought another brand of Test kit and same reading. I read that proper Calcium levels are between 420-450, how am I suppose to drop the Cal level if its already at 500 to begin with? Will these hinder the growth of corals and coralline algae? I do weekly water changes and my tank is SUPER clean, NO hair algae, little to no algae on glass, almost to the point where I worry that my snails wont have anything to eat.

jackri

550 is high... and 500 is high but not dangerously. Do you know your magnesium levels at all?
I'm also assuming you tested correctly as you've tested more than one water source but wouldn't hurt to retest.
Adding corals will deplete some of the calcium but I don't think your at any dangerous levels -- just don't supplement any.
Do you have any coraline growing now? High calcium will promote growth -- but once it starts to precipitate out of the water is where you run into problems... 500 not too bad, 550 a bit high but still don't think it's a dangerous level.

jackri

One other thing -- keep an eye on your alk levels, if they fall off you could get the calcium precipitating out.
One other thing, if feasible -- test a friends replacement water if they use a different salt mix to see what it comes out at. I would mix some up and test it but I'm at work :)

mz3bmx

Thanks jackri. I'll have to test my Mag levels when I get home. There are spots of coralline on the back wall of the tank and on some of the rocks. I read about certain salts having high calcium and I've contemplated on switching brands but I have half a bucket left which is like another 5-6 months supply left. Will corals die at a Calc level of 500-550?

jackri

Various sources say calcium levels of 380-420, 380-450, 400-500, 450-500.
I would consider 500 safe, 550 probably safe but high and work on bringing it down.
As long as your pH and alk are within normal limits I think you are safe, if they should start to swing I think you'll see a calcium precip fallout which is bad.
Maybe someone else has salt readings they can input from their fresh mix.
Personally I would get more of a hardy coral (not fancy or spendy per say) and see how it goes. I honestly don't think there is a problem of 500ppm calcium but I wouldn't want 550ppm long term, but then again I don't want to be responsible for YOUR bunch of new corals dying either

bodyguard295

I had the same problem when switching to Red Sea Salt. My Calcium level was around 550. Switched back to Instant Ocean and am now back to 430.

stanlalee

My seachem test at 580ppm. keeps my tank at 480ppm. pretty common on "reef" salts. get Instant ocean or something not geared to reef tanks if you dont have corals.