Kenya Tree Question?

newbieabc

Hey Guys,
I haven't been on in a while. Well, on to my question... since school has started back up the tank hasent quite been tip-top. Lately the kenya tree forest I have have not been opening up. I have another forest of them towards the bottom of the tank and they are doing great as well as the rest of the corals. What is weird is my Xenia has finnaly takken off like weeds. Go figure.

Any ideas as to why this is? I did some maintnence over the weekend so i'll see if anything turns up, but in mean time, any thoughts.
Thanks,
Austin

teen

how long have they been closed? sometimes when doing maintanence and stuff they get disturbed and close up for a few days. have you changed the flow at all?

newbieabc

They were closed before I did the water changes. I went and looked and one of my powerheads is not on the glass and its blowing right at them. Maybe thats my problem.

teen

most likely. i used to have kenya trees. they wouldnt open high flow, but they liked a moderate flow so that they were sorta swaying.

N

nemo_66

yea, kenyas are rly hardy and all, but if they are disturbed, in your case, the powerhead, it will probably stay closed for a couple of days, just be on your regular routine, and it should open up. i have a large one and a frag whose grown. i love those kenyas

newbieabc

Heres an update:
Water Parameters
Salt-1.031
PH -7.9
ALK -8
CAL -350
NI -0
NA -0
I was told that the reason all of my other Corals are growing really well, but my Kenya Tree is not doing well is because Keyna Tree's are not as hardy as the other corals I have.
Is this true?
I've done a 5 gallon water change with a salt level of 1.020. I'm going to do 5 more tomorrow, and i've added ph and will tomorrow. Do you think its my salt thats too high.
Thanks,
Austin

teen

if anything, specific gravity is too low. should be 1.026
kenya trees are nearly impossible to kill.

newbieabc

Sorry, I dont understand. My salt is 1.031. Its too high right? It should be 1.026.
You say its too low though?

groupergenius

Originally Posted by newbieABC
Sorry, I dont understand. My salt is 1.031. Its too high right? It should be 1.026.
You say its too low though?
Your right. I think teen just mis-read the post. Try to get it to 1.025 though.

newbieabc

Alrighty, I'll update you guys in a little while. I hope they do well, they arent looking too well.
Thanks for all of your guys help!

teen

yup. i thought you said it was at 1.020, but that was the water change water. 1.026 is ideal.

newbieabc

Hey guys,
A couple of days ago I did a 10 gallon water change with a salt level of 1.020. I checked today and the salt level went to to 1.029. Is my hydrometer wrong or what? I have a 55 gallon tank.
Thanks,
Austin

N

nemo_66

its just a little unstable. if ur LFS has a refractometer (sp) go and test ur water on that, they tend to be more accurate. good luck