KH question

kevine6678

What happens when your KH is a little low? I know that it may make the pH fluctuate but will it harm my corals or keep them from growing?

geoj

The higher Alkalinity is important for corals because magnesium, strontium, calcium, and carbonates are the building blocks of coral skeletons. With higher amounts of them, we get good coral growth for longer.
Alkaline minerals are lost to coral growth and reactions with acids. If your alk drops to low the pH falls corals stop growing and some die off can start.
So what is a little low?

kevine6678

For some reason since I moved, my pH usually stays around 7.8 and my KH is about 6 DKH. I use buffers but usually within the next couple days it's low again and I can't figure out why it keeps dropping.
I'm usuing seachem reef buffer. I add it every couple days as needed but because I use so much, it's causing my calcium levels to drop.
I never had this problem before I moved.

geoj

If we have new tanks then we should start with the acid CO2 from algae respiration. CO2 neutralizes some alkaline minerals we can’t stop this from happening but if we take the Glass tops off and have good circulation then the CO2 will escape the water faster and affect the alkalinity less. A shut up house will have some affect on the amount of CO2 in the water also.
If we have older tanks then we should start with the carbonic acid from waste decomposition. It neutralizes some alkaline minerals we can’t stop this from happening ether but we can do a big cleaning use better maintenance, lower feeding/stocking.

kevine6678

Originally Posted by GeoJ
http:///forum/post/3206023
If we have new tanks then we should start with the acid CO2 from algae respiration. CO2 neutralizes some alkaline minerals we can’t stop this from happening but if we take the Glass tops off and have good circulation then the CO2 will escape the water faster and affect the alkalinity less. A shut up house will have some affect on the amount of CO2 in the water also.
If we have older tanks then we should start with the carbonic acid from waste decomposition. It neutralizes some alkaline minerals we can’t stop this from happening ether but we can do a big cleaning use better maintenance, lower feeding/stocking.
Ok, I have heard that pH tends to be a problem in the winter months due to people closing up their homes tighter not allowing fesh oxygen to get in. I may try to take the top off my tank from time to time, I'll just have to watch to make sure my firefish doesn't jump out. I have very little algae and only 3 small fish in a 20 gal and I feed lightly just once a day and skip feedings every so often. Since I started using that buffer I have noticed a big differance in the growth of my corals and corraline algae but I have had to greatly increase the dosing of elements, especially calcium.

geoj

Sounds good to me. You can use egg crate to cover the tank. It is for lighting looks like a grid of boxes you can get it at home improvement stores. If it is not CO2 and the water changes are not keeping the alk up you can try Seachem Reef builder it has more carbonate in it and will move the alk up. The reef buffer tends to lift the pH more with less movement in alk. I use both depending on the need at the time.

kevine6678

cool, I was actually looking at that product just earlier today. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for the advise