Kh

dogstar

around 9 to 11 dKH or 160 to 190 ppm or 3 to 4 meg/L, cal should be around 400 to 500 ppm. JMO

appaloosa1

I put about 11-12 drops in the KH test. I'm not sure if you are supposed to count the first one- the driections confused me! Calcium is about 460 ppm. Is this ok? What should I do if it isn't? Everything else is fine. Ammonia-0 Nitrite-0 Nitrate-10 Ph-8.2 Phosphate-0
Just got KH calcium and phosphate tests today and I'm just getting familiar.

appaloosa1

I have something called reef buffer, i think it is mostly for Ph. Is this what I should use or is there something different?

lion_crazz

I would not be adding anything if your kH is that high. I am not saying it is too high, but if you keep adding that product, it soon will be. What company is it made by?

appaloosa1

I don't add it often, I've had it for a 1 1/2 years and have only used about 1/4 of it. It is made by seachem and I only use it when my Ph is really off for some reason. What should i do to make sure it doesn't get any higher?

dogstar

Hold the bottle straight down and so almost slowly drips by itself so you get good full drops. Count the first one too, 11 drops = 11dKH, your levels sound fine and Kh and cal works to control pH and 8.2 is perfect as long as it stays close to there your good.
Good for you for testing and always ask if you dont understand something. Good luck

lion_crazz

Straight from the SeaChem website:
"Reef Buffer™ will also raise carbonate alkalinity."
I do not know if it would do it with how much you have been using it, but I would not use it anyway until you notice your salt brand is not keeping the alk up.

lion_crazz

wow, with an alk and calcium like you have, you would not think that your pH would be dipping like that. Unless of course that buffer raised the alk that much when you dosed it last week.
To be honest, I was never a fan of SeaChem products. I have used their buffers in the past and I was very unhappy with them.

appaloosa1

well the tank is pretty new- been set up for about a month but everything including water was in my 15 gal. Don't know if this may have something to do with it. Everything looks great- some of the corals have doubled in size since the change. Thanks for the advice on the products. That is what my LFS sells,, but I'll be careful to check KH whenever I use it.

supalupa

Just got my KH test kit and am also learning.
I put in 9 drops to get the desired level. This calculates out to 9 dKH or 161.1 ppm KH.
What is the optimum KH for a reef aquarium?

stanlalee

a dKH of 9-11 is about where you want it. On a fish only tank a little higher range is optimum 10-14. I shoot for 10 since its seems fine for all aquriums.