"Kick Ick" anyone tried it?

D

dawn ii

I am using it my reef, after putting my Hippo in. I had him in QT for 2 weeks- had constant battle with ammonia, skin not looking good. 2 days after added to reef- ick appeared. I bought and added Kick Ick yesterday. Please- only opinions from those who have tried it. Thanks, Dawn

lion_crazz

I have used it and have seen it work sometimes, and other times, it has not. I have not seen any adverse effects to it to any reef inhabitants, however.
I like a product called Stop Parasite a lot more. It is made by a company called Chem Marin and it is a lot more natural. It works on the appetite of the diseased fish, and is more of a nutritional thing rather than chemical. It is also reef-safe, and I have seen far better results to it. The only negative to using Stop Parasite is that a person's alkalinity/kH has to be stable before using it or else the product will effect your pH. Thus, if Kick Ich does not work for you and you decide to try Stop Parasite, pick up a kH test kit and test your kH if you do not know where it is.
While you are treating the fish in your main tank, use garlic and vitamins in his food - Zoe, Selcon, and vitachem is what I would recommend as far as vitamins. You could either use fresh garlic or Garlic Xtreme by Kent Marine. Both have worked fine for me. What I would recommend you do is take the fish's food for a particular feeding, put it in a small cup of tank water, dose your vitamins and garlic, and let the food mix with the vitamins and garlic in the cup for about 5 to 10 minutes. Then, after the 5 top 10 minutes has lapsed, slowly pour the cup with the food into the tank for the fish to eat.
Also, try increasing the fish's feedings to twice a day. However, don't feed anything extra. Just feed less at each feeding, and thus, you will be feeding the fish the same amount, just more spread out rather than in one large daily feeding.
What are you feeding the fish?

D

dawn ii

Thank you for the info! I make up my own in a blender, also suppliment with Omega One flakes and Thera A+, cyclopeeze, & oyster eggs. I use Selcon & Garlic Extreme. I have increased the feedings- but yours is the better idea- half the feedings. I have my uv on with the Kick Ick. How long do I wait before I determine if it is working or not, and to switch to the other treatment you recommended? This web site doesn't notify me by e-mail when I have a reply, is that correct?? Dawn.

unleashed

be sure you offer a variety of herbivore foods your tang need alot of veggies in his diet.adding some frozen prepaired foods to your recipe mix would do a great deal of good for your fish. as a flaked food for your tang i reccomend veggie flakes or kelp flakes for your tang (these are more formulated(by omega one) for herbivores dietary needs.as frozen I use formula 2 and emerald entrese. peridocly I add shredded seaweed sheeets the the food mixture all soaked in selcon and garlic extreme. feed thera+A pellets 2 times daily am and midday then a variety of prepared foods in the pm.this will help in reducing the paresites on the fish themselves by boosting his natural imune system. i dont reccomend switching treatments once the proccess has started it must given ample time to be effective. you may notice the appearance of the fish may look more infested but all all will run its course.keeping your fishes eating properly in the process is going to be the best thing for them. for future references qt of any new arrival should be a minimum of 21 days with no signs of illness what so ever if problems arrise then treat the problem and wait an additional 21 days of no problems this is the best way i know of to be sure.
ps i have had good results with kick ich

D

dawn ii

Thank you- I use Formula 2 in my mix, and cut nori into tiny pieces, and add that too. How often have you used KIck Ick- who had it, and for how long before results were seen? DID OTHER FISHES CATCH IT AFTER TREATMENT WAS STARTED, AND DID YOU RUN UV? dAWN.Oops- cap lock!

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by Dawn II
Thank you for the info! I make up my own in a blender, also suppliment with Omega One flakes and Thera A+, cyclopeeze, & oyster eggs. I use Selcon & Garlic Extreme. I have increased the feedings- but yours is the better idea- half the feedings. I have my uv on with the Kick Ick. How long do I wait before I determine if it is working or not, and to switch to the other treatment you recommended? This web site doesn't notify me by e-mail when I have a reply, is that correct?? Dawn.
I would use the Kick Ich until you begin to notice your fish getting worse, not better. If they continue to get better, keep them on the same thing. If they begin to get worse and worse with each day, switch to the other product that I recommended. That product that I recommended, Stop Parasite, builds their immune system and increases their appetite. So use the Kick Ich since you have that, and as long as they remain the same or get better, and they continue eating, keep using it.
Most times when using either of these products, none of the other fish who previously did not have ich come down with ich. It begins helping everyone; and will not harm and stress them, like a copper treatment would.

unleashed

Originally Posted by Dawn II
Thank you- I use Formula 2 in my mix, and cut nori into tiny pieces, and add that too. How often have you used KIck Ick- who had it, and for how long before results were seen? DID OTHER FISHES CATCH IT AFTER TREATMENT WAS STARTED, AND DID YOU RUN UV? dAWN.Oops- cap lock!
the bottle will note the exact dosing for mild cases more sever cases maybe be boosted bt treating the tank on a closer number of days.normally it was my hippo tang also every time i upgraded tanks she got it.. a few of my other developed signs of ich after i started treatment i did run my UV along with use of kick ich.i have yet to lose a fish due to ich.I also boost feedings add selcon and garlic extreme directly to the tank. to help boost all fishes imune systems at same time of treatment.( my biggest battle in my reef tank has been temp fluxuations)

wvgolfer

I have used both kick ich and stop parasite by chem marin and by far stop parasite was far more effective. Ich has not returned after using stop parasite. Ich returned almost immediately after treatment with kick ich.

unleashed

i have not tried the stop paresite hopefully ill have no need to .but i have not found kick ich to be 100% effective

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by wvgolfer
I have used both kick ich and stop parasite by chem marin and by far stop parasite was far more effective. Ich has not returned after using stop parasite. Ich returned almost immediately after treatment with kick ich.

I also agree, like stated above. Much more effective.

mavgi

kick ich and stop parasite not work it is just waste of money i test all this item to see if they work junk.
the best and safe treatment for ich it is hypo and patient .

ssweet1

Kick ich helped a little bit unfortunately I also used the Rally in combo with the kick ich and lost some of my favorite torts and a huge monti cap, bleached a few LPS as well. Rally is NOT!!!!!! reef safe like it states. The kick ich is reef safe but not effective even when dosing the recommended dose for bad outbreaks. The rally turns the water a greenyellow color and I feel (guessing) that the light was not penetrating correctly to the corals. Not only did I lose the fish I was trying to save but a few of my prized corals. I added a sterilizer and bought a pacific cleaner wrasse that is worth his weight in gold!! He eats like a pig and cleaned every spot of ich off the fish.
This hobby is definately a live and learn process.

unleashed

Originally Posted by mavgi
kick ich and stop parasite not work it is just waste of money i test all this item to see if they work junk.
the best and safe treatment for ich it is hypo and patient .
to be completely honest if i remove my fish from the main tank for treatment they are are getting coppersafed. i dont mess with hypo .but to each his own

mavgi

Originally Posted by unleashed
to be completely honest if i remove my fish from the main tank for treatment they are are getting coppersafed. i dont mess with hypo .but to each his own
with coppersafed you can treat ich to and i do that in the past but once i have problem and my fish get blind because of that i said that hypo it's more safe but even with hypo fish can reinfect and i have it in the past with powder blue.

unleashed

Originally Posted by mavgi
with coppersafed you can treat ich to and i do that in the past but once i have problem and my fish get blind because of that i said that hypo it's more safe but even with hypo fish can reinfect and i have it in the past with powder blue.
I have never had a problem with my fish going blinde from the use of coppersafe by mardel.but i use that only in extreme cases where other treatments cannot be utilized.

vanos

I tried kick ick once and it didn't work. I now have a system that has been set up for over 1 1/2 years and haven't had any ich. I run UV and do bi-weekly water changes. I personally think I don't get ick is because of my stable system and UV.

mavgi

Originally Posted by Vanos
I tried kick ick once and it didn't work. I now have a system that has been set up for over 1 1/2 years and haven't had any ich. I run UV and do bi-weekly water changes. I personally think I don't get ick is because of my stable system and UV.

the uv maybe help but i don't think becuase that you don't have ich. i have 2 36watt uv in my system and it is not what stop the ich. i know a lot of ppl that not run uv and don't have ich .
quarantine new arrival , good maintenance , good food , stabile temp ,and the main thing water quality this what will keep healty fish in the tank.