Kids and the electric bill

viper_930

I was just wondering what some of you parents would do. If your child/teen decided to start a saltwater tank and it ran up the electric bill 100 bucks, would you make him/her pay that $100? Of course we would say he/she does have a min. wage job in order to get income.

fedukeford

When i started my 55 (im 14) i dont think my parents even noticed a change in the bill, it was a reef too.

reefreak29

i would make him pay a portion of it , knowing he loves the hobby i wouldnt want to take that away , but i would still tryy to teach responsibility

lovethesea

depends on where the tank is. If its in the general living area of the house for all to enjoy, I would say partial payment.

i say if it cost $100 a month to run the aquarium, yes pay the man. that is not cheap and kids need to learn that. show me responsibility and maybe you get some back.

sepulatian

What tank costs $100 a month to run? My electric bill is a little over $150 every two months. My electric bill at my store was $250 every two months with all of my tanks, amplifiers going all of the time, lights all on from 9am till 8pm, including outdoor lights. LOL if my child could somehow manage to run and extra $100 a month, your damn right he would be finding a way to at least make up half of the difference

sepulatian

Originally Posted by ViPeR_930
I was just wondering what some of you parents would do. If your child/teen decided to start a saltwater tank and it ran up the electric bill 100 bucks, would you make him/her pay that $100? Of course we would say he/she does have a min. wage job in order to get income.
Viper, I forgot how old you are. Tell your parents that your tanks are valuable to your future. You are a moderator here at SWF. You can put that on your Resume. You can't give advice without personal experience. See, they are contributing to your future by letting you enjoy this hobby

sign guy

Originally Posted by sepulatian
What tank costs $100 a month to run? My electric bill is a little over $150 every two months. My electric bill at my store was $250 every two months with all of my tanks, amplifiers going all of the time, lights all on from 9am till 8pm, including outdoor lights. LOL if my child could somehow manage to run and extra $100 a month, your damn right he would be finding a way to at least make up half of the difference

thats nuts my power bill for my 800 sqft apt is 200 it droped to 110 last month when the heater was off.

sign guy

I say yes at a cetian age its the teens responsability and if he/she gets to change the utilities that much they should help pay, sorry viper

reefreak29

Originally Posted by sign guy
I say yes at a cetian age its the teens responsability and if he/she gets to change the utilities that much they should help pay, sorry viper
u have to remeber this is california

sepulatian

Originally Posted by sign guy
thats nuts my power bill for my 800 sqft apt is 200 it droped to 110 last month when the heater was off.
Maybe because I am in NY, but my house is 2,500 sq feet. I have 4 tanks running at the moment. I do have gas heat and stove though.

sign guy

Originally Posted by sepulatian
Maybe because I am in NY, but my house is 2,500 sq feet. I have 4 tanks running at the moment. I do have gas heat and stove though.
4 tanks and 2500 sqft

viper_930

Thanks for the input everybody. Another thought of mine: If you're trying to teach responsibility, would the amount of money the tank puts on the electric bill make a difference on whether or not you make him pay? i.e. If the cost was $20 instead of $100/month would you still make him pay?
Sepulatian, how much does a kwh cost you? My shop takes 5 times your cost to pay the electic bill! :scared:
Who said anything about California?

wattsupdoc

Viper, I had no idea you were a teen, awesome dude.
But sadly, I have to say yes, pay at least half. 100 bucks is alot though for 1 tank. Do they get any enjoyment out of it? Do you support the tank yourself completly? If they do and and you support it fully then maybe not.

sign guy

When I was 17 and still living with my mom Me and some of the neighborhood guys got in a pissing match over who's yard looked the best. I waterd my whole yard every night for 30 day for 45 min a night. The bill was 318.and some change. I hade to pay that. ( I won 500 for having the greenest yard so it worked out)

zman1

If it had an increase of more than 10% - 15% on the total bill then, yes.
Also, I'd personally would take into account if the teen was driving and paying for their own insurance, maintenance and gas. Just turn the TV and room light's off when you leave your room -LOL

michaeltx

From my first check I had to start helping with the bills I started working in a seafood restaraunt when I was 15 and have been paying part or all the bills ever since. To me it really helped learn the value of my money and to pay my bills when they are due.
so IMO yes LOL atleast help alittle bit with it but thats me and my opinion

Mike