kill green hair algae

lxxnp1234

Hi guys,
I am upgrading my tank from 12g biocube to 29g biocube. I want to move around 20lbs existing live rocks to the new tank. But these live rocks have green hair algae. I don't want to introduce it to the new system. Is there any way I can make sure all green hair algae is removed?
I heard using hot water can kill the algae.
Thank you for advance.

mr. limpid

Hot water will also kill the fauna on the rock dip the rock in peroxide. This will kill the algae and not harm the fauna. You also need to find out why you have hair algae in the first place or the hair algae will just start up again in the new tank. Test your water pram. Don't over feed. Bulbs are they new or old? Are leave your lights on to long (coral or no coral)? Type of foods feed? Do you have a clean up crew and if so what are they?

snakeblitz33

A 3% hydrogen peroxide dip is a good start, as Mr. Limpid suggested.
You could also mix up your new saltwater in your new tank using RO/DI water and then in your old tank/water you can take a new (Unused) scrub brush and brush it off before a peroxide dip.
I definitely agree with Mr. Limpid that you need to figure out what the cause of the problem is before you can call it done.
Use RO/DI water for all new mixed saltwater as well as top offs. The TDS reading should be no more than 2 on RO/DI water. Feed quality foods, and only feed as much food as your fish will eat. Overfeeding the tank will lead to water quality and algae issues. Increasing your filtration power will also help - such as adding a protein skimmer and getting it working properly, as well as a possible UAS or upflow algae scrubber.
Anyways, those are just some ideas. I hope it works out for you. Good luck!

lxxnp1234

Thank you for your suggestions. I will try hot water and hydrogen peroxide dip. Also I will watch parameters closely in the new tank.
Could you please let me know how to do hydrogen peroxide dip? Put the rocks in 3% hydrogen peroxide for a while?

snakeblitz33

No one said anything about doing hot water. In fact, we suggest against using hot water. Hot water will make your live rock into base rock - it will essentially throw off your system and you will have to buy additional live rock. It's a shame to kill your live rock when there are other methods out there that are more effective.
just take a bristle brush and brush over your rocks, then dunk them in saltwater and whatever is left you just pour some H2O2 over and then put it in your new tank. Simple as that.

lxxnp1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/394632/kill-green-hair-algae#post_3512389
No one said anything about doing hot water. In fact, we suggest against using hot water. Hot water will make your live rock into base rock - it will essentially throw off your system and you will have to buy additional live rock. It's a shame to kill your live rock when there are other methods out there that are more effective.
just take a bristle brush and brush over your rocks, then dunk them in saltwater and whatever is left you just pour some H2O2 over and then put it in your new tank. Simple as that.
Thank you for your suggestions. I will work on it this weekend.

pinky327

Wow i had no clue a simple did in H2O2 could be so handy!! I am getting a new take set up been a few months now went through the diatoms plague and came out on the other side ok ( waiting things out is so not easy lol), but not i have GHA all over, i over feed im working on it but my fish literally beg me for food its too cute to say no to lol, and i have to use my well water at times rodi is too hard for me to move, so i know i am the cause of most of it but will work on it as the tank establishes and I learn, i do hope to find a use or cheap rodi unit to buy because i believe the top off and water changes with my well water is the main casue. But to find a quick fix that wont kill my rock is awesome i just have a few really cool looking rocks i love showing off, one is like a screaming face super cool i put it in front and i would love to see clean again... So just to be clear clean off as much algae as possible, can even scrub it off with new clean brush then dip/pour H2O2 over the rock and return it to the tank that’s all really?? Seems so simple and awesome I cant believe i never heard about it. One more question will it kill off other algae’s or just

tthemadd1

Don't quote me but I believe it will kill all the algae in the rock. Just pour it on the specific location. I too have GHA and after doing testing my phos is under control. Heavy fish waste is probably the cause of most
There are a few posts about how it works and the process. I am going out today to buy a few bottles.

snakeblitz33

I have some mushrooms on my rocks with the peroxide dip damage them?
Not to my knowledge. No one has reported a coral death due to h2o2
In fact, h2o2 can be added to a tank in case of an emergency if the power has been out for a few days to add some o2 to the system due to no circulation.