Killer cleaner shrimp...

ci11337

Well i have a huge cleaner shrimp in my 55 gallon reef and yesterday at the LFS i saw this awesome blue and gold CB shrimp. For $20 i decided to get it, he was less than half the size of my cleaner. I thought that if anything the CB would someday kill the cleaner. BUT this morning i was watching my 'lil CB hanging upside down in his cave when out of nowhere my cleaner drags him out and slaughters him!!! Earlier this week my cleaner also killed my poor purple feather duster, does anyone else have/had a killer cleaner?

stanlalee

cleaner shrimp are no push overs if they were there established 1rst and larger than the new shrimp. I'm suprised he killed it. usually a cleaner shrimp will just chase other shrimp away from their overhang if they get near so you end up having a shrimp on each side of the tank. next time make sure the CB is of equal size. its unlikely it will kill the cleaner but it will probably live.

ophiura

This is not uncommon at all. Normally, it is the CBS that is the most aggressive. BUt this doesn't surprise me. Most are not "cleaners" in the sense that they are obligate. They will eat other food, and they will go after this. They can smell that the new shrimp is stressed, and will absolutely go for it.
It is sometimes tough to add new shrimp like this. I would always isolate them for a brief period, say in a critter keeper tank, so that they don't smell so tempting.
Sorry it happened, but it is not surprising, IMO. It is a definite risk.

ci11337

Thanx for your replys, i think i'm gonna stick with just this one shrimp. I really wish i could add another feather duster, but i don't wanna risk it...

fishygrl

I had a coral banded shrimp for AGES.. used to have two.. and t hey killed my old cleaner shrimp after it's mate died...... And then I think one cannabalized the other... So I put it in my new tank with two new cleaner shrimp.... The coral banded turned up dead a couple weeks later.
It's revenge of the cleaner shrimp I tell you.. They are getting even with all their ungrateful tank mates ;)