Killer Sally Lightfoots

We just upsized to 150 gal tank and we ordered peppermint shrimps and a coral banded shrimp, different crabs and snails also a Sally light foot crab from this site, because it said that they are peacful and reef safe and would be a great addition to any reef tank. Yesterday I was talking to a freind of mine and she said that they are mean little buggers and won't let them near her tank. So then I went ******* to see what they had to say...it can eat small invertabrates and fish and that their temperment is semi aggressive!!! Now who's right? And if she is a murderer...how the heck do catch her to get her out? She is sooooo fast!

vito525

As far as catching it, good luck. I got one about a week ago and the first day it tore around the tank fast as crap knocking down all the hermits, then it hid for 4 days, it just came out last night and was feeding on the rocks. So far so good I guess. We'll see.

jpc763

I have had a Sally Lightfood for the past 2 months and she (LFS said she is actually a she) is very peaceful. She has molted twice and has gotten bigger. So far, she has never threatened any of our fish or inverts. She spends most of her time eating off the rocks.

natemd

Make no mistake they are very oppurtunistic. If the sally lightfoot crab is hungry it will go after small fish and inverts. I had one before that I had to get rid of because he was just a mean old thing and kept trying to get my clowns. I tricked mine to catch it since they are very fast. Take a piece of meaty food and tie it to a string. Dangle it by the front glass a couple inches above the sand level so the crab can't quite get it. And just have a net ready and try to nab the crab. Hopefully that helps, it worked for me after a couple minutes!

saltn00b

i have had mine for a long time now, maybe 2 years +. very peaceful, never harmed anything. i have heard that when they get very large . 5"+ that they can grab small moving fish. but never seen it or heard / seen an actual report of it, just rumors.

rudedog40

Mine's one of the more animated creatures in the tank. Never had any problems with other tankmates. It did almost become dinner the other night. My SFE has become more aggressive the last couple of weeks. I was doing my afternoon feeding, and he came out of his lair looking for food. The Sally happened to be sitting on a rock right above him minding his own business, when my SFE tried to take a bite out of him. The Sally quickly backed off, but backed into my CBS. My CBS then took a swipe at him with one of his claws. Next thing I know, he was at the opposite end of the tank, munchin on some stuff on a rock. I felt kinda bad for the guy since he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.