Kinda...sorta...wipeout

triggerfool

Had a wipeout of all my girlfriends fish...and I think its my fault.
Its one of 3 possibilities and Id like some opinions.
1) I transfered a Maroon Clown to my girlfriends tank, and this morning, her purple psuedochromis, striped damsel, and foxface are all dead this morning, and the maroon is fine...
2) We also put a powerhead into the tank yesterday to get better circulation, and it was kicking up a lot of dust...
3) We also topped off the water with fresh, seeing as much had evaporated.
Thanks for all your help, its been a while since Ive posted and its nice to see the community has grown quite a bit.

buzz

Hmm...
1 - What size is your girlfriend's tank?
2 - Does your clown have any illnesses? ick, etc...?
3 - Did you check the levels in her tank to see if something spiked?
If the powerhead stirred the sandbed too much, the ammonia levels could have been affected.
The clown may also have pushed your bioload just a wee bit too far.
When you say you topped off with fresh water, how much are you talking about? Could the salinity have dropped rapidly in cutting it too much? Also, where did the water come from? Tap? RO?
The clown may still be alive because it is a hardier fish.

john_doe

Since it was oddly enough your girlfriend's fish that were wiped out you might have bigger problems to worry about involving your relationship;)

triggerfool

John, if a Trigger I had taken off her hands a year ago hadn't killed 6 of my fish...I'd have to agree with you. But at this point, we aren't close to even yet. :)
The tank is a 42 gallon and the foxface was pretty small...so I don't think it was a bio load issue, especially overnight. And the Maroon has been VERY healthy, if anything, he was coming from far more optimal conditions.
I find it really weird that her fish all died, especially in a short time. The powerhead seems to be the most likely suspect, but it doesn't explain the clown living through it...and I dont know if its the Rambo of fish, but I dont think that Maroon Clowns are more Hardy than Rabbitfish...in fact, I got the rabbitfish for her cause of their indestructible nature...
Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.