Kole Tang Diagnosis (w/ pics)

pagf14

I just bought a new Kole Tang for my 65 gallon FOWLR tank. After QT, the first 2 weeks went by fine, he was grazing on all of the excess algae in the tank. But now he's just hiding out in the corner, darting around wildly in the small space. I've noticed that his skin is starting to look faded and rough, and his "scalpel" is out and the area around it is red and swollen. The glass of the corner he's hiding in is scratched and scuffed, while the rest of the tank is not. The only other inhabitant in the tank is a Flame Angel. My water parameters are:
pH - 8.2
Ammonia - <0.5 ppm
Nitrite - <0.5 ppm
Nitrate - 20 ppm
SG - 1.019
Oh yeah, the Kole Tang only seems to exhibit this behavior late in the day, from about 2 PM to 6 PM, which is when I turn off the lights. As soon as they go off, he swims around regularly. Any opinions???
I'll post pics soon.

Sounds like he is seeing his reflection on the glass when the lights are on and spending all his time and energy attacking it.

nigerbang

Originally Posted by pagf14
http:///forum/post/2938541
I just bought a new Kole Tang for my 65 gallon FOWLR tank. After QT, the first 2 weeks went by fine, he was grazing on all of the excess algae in the tank. But now he's just hiding out in the corner, darting around wildly in the small space. I've noticed that his skin is starting to look faded and rough, and his "scalpel" is out and the area around it is red and swollen. The glass of the corner he's hiding in is scratched and scuffed, while the rest of the tank is not. The only other inhabitant in the tank is a Flame Angel. My water parameters are:
pH - 8.2
Ammonia - <0.5 ppm
Nitrite - <0.5 ppm
Nitrate - 20 ppm
SG - 1.019
Oh yeah, the Kole Tang only seems to exhibit this behavior late in the day, from about 2 PM to 6 PM, which is when I turn off the lights. As soon as they go off, he swims around regularly. Any opinions???
I'll post pics soon.
Might have something to do with that Ammonia and Nitrite

pagf14

"Sounds like he is seeing his reflection on the glass when the lights are on and spending all his time and energy attacking it. "
I had thought so. BTW, the ammonia and nitrite are practically zero, I was just taking into account that there is always a tiny amount in any tank.
If he is attacking his reflection, is there any way I can calm him down? Maybe something on the glass?

juniors04

my Harlequin Tusk does the same thing. He bite the Acrylic when he looks at himself in the reflection exspecially when its feeding time! But If i were you I would get that Amonia and Nitrite down. Thats very toxic to fish.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by pagf14
http:///forum/post/2939157
"Sounds like he is seeing his reflection on the glass when the lights are on and spending all his time and energy attacking it. "
I had thought so. BTW, the ammonia and nitrite are practically zero, I was just taking into account that there is always a tiny amount in any tank.
If he is attacking his reflection, is there any way I can calm him down? Maybe something on the glass?
Why is there always a tiny amount in the tank? If this tank is established then there shouldn't be any at all. If his scalpel is out then he is ready to fight. Are you sure that the flame isn't bothering him?

j0hn rambo

Ammonia and Nitrite will always and should always remain at 0 like stated above if the tanks cycled. Thats part of the reason your fish is stressed. Bring them down with small daily water changes.

pagf14

Naw the Falme Angel is only half his size. I put an index card in the said corner, and did a little water change, and guess what? He's acting just like he was! Thank you everybody!