kole tang not eating!!!

shista

my KOle tang i had for about 2 weeks all he eats is brine shrimP!! he gets really close to the other food then swims away. Or puts in mouth then spits it. what else do you guys think he would eat that is nutritional?

jhebi

did you try seaweed??? they like to eat seaweed....Giving him only brine shrimp won't give him any nutritional value....Brine shrimps are not nutritonal. I give my fishes brinbe only once a week or 2, so they can snack on it.
The best IMO is home made food, cheaper and very well nutrional...My fishes love it and they all eat from my hand, they all get together when I am close to my tank......

caomt

i feed my tang seaweed he likes it.. but he doesnt run up like jhebi's fish.. dont forget the clippers

shine~on

Please send the recipe my way too!
It took my Kole Tang at least 3-4 weeks before he ate anything that I tried to feed. He would pick at the live rock all day but not eat any flakes, brine, or seaweed. Then he ate everything! Sadly, he disappeared recently

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by shista
my KOle tang i had for about 2 weeks all he eats is brine shrimP!! he gets really close to the other food then swims away. Or puts in mouth then spits it. what else do you guys think he would eat that is nutritional?
What kind of seaweed are you feeding him? My Naso wouldn't eat the green algae and I had to buy brown algae and he eats it like a pig. They do sell a multi-pack algae sheets, you can ask your LFS if they sell'em, if not, ask them to order you some. The multi-pack contains 3 different types of algae, try each one and see which one he prefers. Once he starts to eat one kind, he may eat the other kinds as well down the road. I have also notice with some tangs not going up to the algae clip to feed on the algae. I placed a piece of algae near by where they normally hang out and place a piece of rock on one end of it to hold it down. That's when they go after it. Different nutrition is a must! Too much meaty foods for tangs can cause a sore(kinda like ich) growing on their body. I recently noticed this about my tang, he just got done fighting ich and wasn't looking any better, I've been feeding nothing but formula 2 during the whole time(It contains garlic), but when I put a piece of algae sheet in for him to feed in the afternoon, he looked a whole lot BETTER the very night, got his colors back and everything. So algae sheets is a MUST!!! :happyfish

jhebi

Ditto, seaweed is a MUST for Tangs, they help and give them nutrional ingredients, you can add seaweed on the mix of your own home made food. Or you may also try to put some lettuce and see if they will eat.

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by jhebi
Ditto, seaweed is a MUST for Tangs, they help and give them nutrional ingredients, you can add seaweed on the mix of your own home made food. Or you may also try to put some lettuce and see if they will eat.
DO NOT feed lettuce!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It has insufficient nutrients! Same with human consumption, no real quality in a lettuce, it's only a filler. Seaweed is a must for tangs, I would agree with that much. :happyfish