Korallin BioDenitrator

reef26

Has anyone ever used the Korallin BioDenitrator? I heard that the sulfur it uses can do something to the tank. just looking for any feed back any this item.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJ http:///t/390912/korallin-biodenitrator#post_3464076
Hay Flower, are you still using a BioDenitrator?
Yes, but it is an Aquaripure brand. It works great, but the line will get clogged as the bacteria builds and you have to stay on top of it...should it ever totally clog up for longer than 24 hours. Do NOT flush the line into the sump, use a seperate bucket, I killed my seahorses because the bacteria dies fast in that container and becomes poison for the critters.

flower

Okay...I just looked up this Korallin denitrator...for that kind of money...Get the Aquaripure filter. It NEVER needs media change or cleaning. The good bacteria that feeds on nitrates are in the filter and you feed the filter once a week a perscribed amount of vodka (small 4ml and the Lg 8ml in a syringe they provide)
A hose goes from the filter to the tank, and another hose goes from a small pump (they provide) to the filter. All you do is make sure the hose drips and feed it once a week. Thats it.
The Korillin needs media, which costs more money and it has to be cleaned, which is a pain in the butt.

geoj

Okay...I just looked up this Korallin denitrator...for that kind of money...Get the Aquaripure filter. It NEVER needs media change or cleaning. The good bacteria that feeds on nitrates are in the filter and you feed the filter once a week a perscribed amount of vodka (small 4ml and the Lg 8ml in a syringe they provide)

A hose goes from the filter to the tank, and another hose goes from a small pump (they provide) to the filter. All you do is make sure the hose drips and feed it once a week. Thats it.

The Korillin needs media, which costs more money and it has to be cleaned, which is a pain in the butt.
You have dosed vodka before using a Aquaripure filter what is the difference and is the filter worth the money and extra maintenance if any.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJ http:///t/390912/korallin-biodenitrator#post_3464202
You have dosed vodka before using a Aquaripure filter what is the difference and is the filter worth the money and extra maintenance if any.
The vodka dosing was not stable. I had to keep upping the dose, then cut it in half...a few weeks later up the dose again. The super great skimmer was an absolute must or everything dies.
The Aquaripure is a sealed unit, it never gets cleaned nor any media added to it. You feed the canister once a week. The large one takes 8ml and the small one I have on the 56g takes 4ml. no more, no less. I make sure the hose drips slow and the little pump is working. That's it. My nitrates are 0 on both tanks. My 90g had high nitrate readings because of a bad kit...but my tests were always around 20 before the kits went bad, now nitrates stay at 0.
For me, it's worth the money. That's why I purchased one for the 56g SH tank. I also purchased a phosphate reactor for each tank...purigen can just do so much.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJ http:///t/390912/korallin-biodenitrator#post_3464356
Hay, that is great to hear you are happy with it...
LOL...one of the few pieces of equipment that actually does what it is supposed to. However I learned the hard way to not flush that tube if it gets clogged up into the sump...the stagnant bacteria smelled of death and killed my seahorses.
The Aquaripure guy was great at helping me get it back on track...He got back to me within an hour of hearing of my troubles. He had me remove the filter from the tank and run saltwater from a bucket thru it, then he sent me the good bacteria witch I injected via the feeding tube...waited a week and fed it the usual dose of vodka and all is well again.
You can always get a saleman, but help when things go wrong is the real test.

sagxman

LOL...one of the few pieces of equipment that actually does what it is supposed to. However I learned the hard way to not flush that tube if it gets clogged up into the sump...the stagnant bacteria smelled of death and killed my seahorses.

The Aquaripure guy was great at helping me get it back on track...He got back to me within an hour of hearing of my troubles. He had me remove the filter from the tank and run saltwater from a bucket thru it, then he sent me the good bacteria witch I injected via the feeding tube...waited a week and fed it the usual dose of vodka and all is well again. 

You can always get a saleman, but help when things go wrong is the real test.

Flower, are there any negatives to this product? It looks amazing from the info on their site. I wonder why more people aren't using this.

geoj

Flower, are there any negatives to this product? It looks amazing from the info on their site. I wonder why more people aren't using this. Hay Flower,
This is what I said when you got your first one, "Denitrators are not new, I can remember back when I joined here in 2006 a big Denitrator fad... Back then I was considering getting one so I looked into the hole thing. The pH of the water coming out the filter is low and has to be raised before you let it back in to the DT some tanks don't have any trouble with this others do. The filter has a low flow and most Denitrators control the oxygen level through this flow of water and the bacterias use of oxygen, this is the first part that can be hard to deal with adjusting the flow to control oxygen. The low flow of water through the filter limits how much can be treated so Denitrators have been big in the past but if you feed the bacteria you can get better performance but the hard part is to know how much to feed because any thing feed that is not used by your intended bacteria will be used by something. Also the low flow through Denitrators allow bacteria flocks to clog the tubing up and this has been the big killer of these filters as the filter clogs you have to keep adjusting the flow and finally restart the filter when you run out of adjustment."
So lets go through it
pH: have you had any change, did you need to start kalkwasser?
Does the filter keep phosphate and nitrate very low constantly?
How often do you adjust the filter to keep it working and does it clog?
Does all the positives out weigh the negatives?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJ http:///t/390912/korallin-biodenitrator#post_3467944
Hay Flower,
This is what I said when you got your first one, "Denitrators are not new, I can remember back when I joined here in 2006 a big Denitrator fad... Back then I was considering getting one so I looked into the hole thing. The pH of the water coming out the filter is low and has to be raised before you let it back in to the DT some tanks don't have any trouble with this others do. The filter has a low flow and most Denitrators control the oxygen level through this flow of water and the bacterias use of oxygen, this is the first part that can be hard to deal with adjusting the flow to control oxygen. The low flow of water through the filter limits how much can be treated so Denitrators have been big in the past but if you feed the bacteria you can get better performance but the hard part is to know how much to feed because any thing feed that is not used by your intended bacteria will be used by something. Also the low flow through Denitrators allow bacteria flocks to clog the tubing up and this has been the big killer of these filters as the filter clogs you have to keep adjusting the flow and finally restart the filter when you run out of adjustment."
So lets go through it
pH: have you had any change, did you need to start kalkwasser?
Does the filter keep phosphate and nitrate very low constantly?
How often do you adjust the filter to keep it working and does it clog?
Does all the positives out weigh the negatives?
Hi,
I know they are not new. The Aquaripure is actually carbon dosing. I feed it a syringe of Vodka once a week. (small one takes 4ml and the large one takes 8ml) I did have the small one clog and when I flushed the tube it poisoned my seahorses and killed them. I talked with the Aquaripure guy and he said from now on flush the tube if it clogs..into a bucket..DUH. But I'm sure he passed that information on to other users of his product. He is a very nice fellow, and he is right there to help with info if you need him.
I have noticed a slower drip maybe once a month and I open the tube and reset the drip then...takes seconds. I have 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates on the 56g, but I also have macroalgae thriving in that tank. Seahorses are very messy eaters and the wasted food really causes problems...the Aquaripure filter and the macros combined is a winning combo for my tank.
On the 90g as a reef...the PO4 and NO3 were consistently 0. I did have to dose kalk. My PH was fine. That filter never clogged up but again about once a month I had to reset the drip. I have now converted my 90g to a cold water seahorse tank, it is cycling now. I have the large Aquaripure running from a bucket of saltwater, dripping. I don't want to kill off the bacteria in it, so right now it can't be main lined to the tank. I can't let it sit without running because that would kill the bacteria as well.