Laddy's 10g (update pics)

partsman

very nice looking tank Laddy,
peaceful and very realistic ..............i'm jealous ...lol
nice combo with the perc's and firefish also .
thanks for the pic's - makes me start thinking about what to do next with my new nano ..
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ......lol
Michael

T

tuningvis

hey laddy
i was considering getting a firefish with my 2 clown
how was it going from 2 to 3 fish ?
any noticable changes? more upkeep?
what are you doing for filtration ?
and please tell me how you keep your sand so white HAHA

bigarn

The tank looks great Laddy ..... everything looks healthy and well cared for. Every time I see that firefish in with the clowns I'm so tempted to get one also. So did you notice any changes with the 3 of them?

debbie

Beautiful tank....

I love that firefish. I to have three fish in my 10 gal and so far so good, I have not noticed any ill affects. Water changes without missing one is a must though. I have 2 ocellaris clowns and 1 yellow tail damsel. All three of them are buddies, damsels have a bad name but maybe I lucked out. It adds just enough color to the tank and makes for interesting fish to watch also. I am sure you notice that with your clowns and firefish.
Thanks for posting......Deb

fatmatt

didnt know you can have 3 fish in a 10gal tank... every1 keeps tellin me i can only have 1 in my 20gal...

T

tuningvis

haha whos said that?
you could prob have 3 safely 4 boarderline and 5 pushing it

laddy

Thanks for the feedback. The tank has come a long way since its inception. I originally stocked it with two yellow tail damsels, along with 20lbs of live sand and a power head.
I'll run down the list of inhabitants:
2 Ocellaris
1 Fire Fish
6-8 Astrea Snails
2 Margarita Snails
2 Mexican Turbo Snails
6-10 Blue Legged Hermits
Frogspawn: was almost translucent when I bought it
Zoos: orange centered brown skirts--out of control, orange centered green skirts, and silver centers
2 ricordea (soon to be seperated from the same rock)
Mushrooms: Greens (not sure they're on any photos), striped lavendars, and reds (which were bought six months ago on a rock with three....current count last night 11).
partsman: LOL...thanks. Ya just start dumping money into it.
nanoreef: ya the frogspawn I bought a few months ago after I moved my LT plate coral into a bigger setup. The plate coral was great to have considering it looked like an anemone, however, the ocellaris started hosting in it and caused both damage to it, as well as them. It's living a peacful life in a 45g corner bow at the moment.
tuningvis: fire fish is a great addition (even if you didn't notice that you forgot your wallet and you're standing in line with three people behind you
). When I first bought it my fear was that the clowns would harrass it, and my wife feared that we'd never see it. The clowns don't even give him the time of day and he's out almost as much as the clowns--except during water changes, then you won't see him for a few hours until the dust settles. My filtration is almost all natural. 20#'s live rock (approx) and 20# live sand. I have a AC 150 pumping water out and then gravity feeding down to a 10g refuge which has been setup for six months now. It gets pumped back up into the AC compartment ontop of a false top I glued halfway down in the compartment--and flows back into the tank. Sidenote: this way of doing it is by no means an exact science. As a matter of fact it's a pain in the arse to equalize the flow rates--everyday attention required. I also run carbon almost all the time....so what?, shoot me. LOL. Weekly water changes without fail. As for the sand, I attribute the 9 hrs of "sun" it gets a day, along with minimal feedings. It appears to be more white (bleached) in high light areas, but on the right hand side where the coralife 96 doesn't have lighting b/c the lights don't span the full 20" of the hood, there is discoloration. About every two weeks I shut the lights off for one photo period, too.
bigarn: you the man!! No I really didn't notice anything with respect to levels by adding the fire fish. I'm sure I have nitrates, but nothing detectible with the kits I've used. As I've added to the tank my suppliments have had to increase as well. B Ionic, every third day. How's your nano doing?
Fatmatt: I guess it all depends on what three fish in a 10 we're talking about. The ocellaris tend to live in the top 1/3 of the tank, and the goby lives on the bottom and rarely ventures above to the surface.
Debbie: Never discount damsels, very easy to care for with a number of color options.

debbie

Nice reply Laddy to everyone. I quite like damsels myself, yes they do add the color ones needs. I am enjoying my tank alot more with my stiff in there now. I have had no problems and hope I don't encounter any, like you say water changes are a must and one cannot be forget about them..... :yes:
Here is my run down:
12 lbs live rock
1" live sand bed
Mini Aqua Clear Filter
Elite Stingray filter/powerhead
2 Ocellaris clowns
1 yellow tail damsel
1 short spined sea urchin
1 chocolate chip starfish
Deb...

debbie

Yes I have. My tank is nothing like yours Laddy, nothing to brag about really. I am happy with how it turned out for me but still need more rock in time. My latest post was "my stingray".
Deb

T

tuningvis

thanks for the reply laddy
i actualy was thinking so much about getting another 10 gal tank for a fuge that i dreamed about it HAHA
this hobby will make you go crazy i tell ya
what kind of lighting do you use on your fuge?
also i was thinking of something dif. my dream LOL ... a display and fuge set up side by side.

laddy

tuningvis: The lighting on the fuge is 60 watts of NO running 24 hrs. I originally started it because I got a 10g AGA and stored it under the stand. One day while lounging on the couch I started to think how I could get water two fee below and then two feet back into the display if I had to. Three weeks later and a dozen attempts I turned the valves and started the flow--of course the tank was seeded with established sand and allowed to run for three weeks before I brought it inline. I'd like to come across a desk, or workstation cabinetry in the future--something with a big storage area up top. Then I could gravity feed back to the tank--better for the little creatures which have to pass through a pump to get back to the display. If I come accross something like that the first thing I'd do is find a 10g rubber maid container--less chance of breaking and easier to drill.

T

tuningvis

yea i was thinking of not even drilling on it.... side by side over the top
but yea .. it would be nice to have everything good in the fuge go into the display without having to go through a pump
what are you using to regulate the flow ?
what size pvc are you using?
i'd like to keep the 10 fuge glass because of the ability to view in it.. . i may look for an acrylic 10 so i can store a mantis in there or 2
along with micro
but try and make it a secondary display tank/fuge