Lagoon Pic

bang guy

Latest Lagoon picture. Points of intrest include the tri-level Purple w/green polyp Montipora digitata near the middle and the Scroll Hammer coral at the lower left.
Sorry about the glare. That's one of the challenges to pictures on a look-down type reef.

darknes

wow!!!
Wish I had the time and money to do something like that!
Bang, how large is your lagoon?
:happyfish :happyfish

wrassecal

Guy, that lagoon has come a long way, it's awesome! You are going to have to trade in Barbie for the Little Mermaid:D

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, that is really cool. Really looks like a lagoon reef now. How much $$$ do you think you have invested there?

B

big911dog

Looks GREAT Guy! Question: The surface looks very calm. How do you accomplish gas exchange agitation (or do you accomplish that through another means)?

bang guy

Originally posted by Big911Dog
Question: The surface looks very calm. How do you accomplish gas exchange agitation (or do you accomplish that through another means)?

Below is a picture of the 32 gallon Carlson surge devices I built. They surge every few minutes. I had to take the picture between surges because they really stir things up.

bang guy

Originally posted by Beth
How much $$$ do you think you have invested there?

about $250 for the lagoon itself
3000 pounds of sand was only about $300
and then 5 buckets of salt was another $250.
Another $200 for lighting (used stuff).
So, about $1000 for the setup.
The actual cost of the livestock was low because I just trade frags for stuff.
What's it worth?? Priceless!! :D

robchuck

BG,
The lagoon is looking really nice in that pic! One question though, how do you handle evaporation from the lagoon?

bang guy

My limewater buckets automatically replace evap as long as it's less than 35 gallons a day. Typically it's 5 gallons a day with the cover over the lagoon and 20 gallons a day without the cover.

robchuck

Do you have to do anything to vent your basement to prevent the evaporation from damaging your home?

bang guy

Yes, I have a duct going from the cover to a basement window where a muffin fan blows outside. I usually turn it off in the winter so that humidity is picked up by the heater to humidify the house.

E

essop3

Looks beautiful looking from the top like that.
I'm sure a full livestock list would take you a few days to put together but how about a sample list of fish, coral and inverts?

bang guy

Originally posted by essop3
I'm sure a full livestock list would take you a few days to put together but how about a sample list of fish, coral and inverts?

Banggai - 5 mated pair
Ocellaris- a family of 8
Foxface
A school of Anthias
Urchins
various montipora
Candycane
Hammer
A really sweet unidentified Acropora
3 Rose BTA
Nepthia
Cabbage coral