Large fish died and I can't get to it.

rlablan

I have a large blue hippo that died lastnight, sometime between 2am and noon today. I can barely see him in this little cave thing but I know he's there and I know he's dead. There is NOOO way to get to him. What should I do?? There is like 200 lbs of rock over and around this cave area. The only hole to "get him" out from is like 1in by 2 in and this fish is like 6inches.

He is in a 150 wide tank, that is running a skimmer. Can I leave him in there? I do have a CUC that will probably eat him??

Please help!!!!

Thanks
Rae

If you have a good CUC that will help a lot. But that's a big fish. I would say do some decent water changes maybe every other day and let the CUC do their job. Just keep an eye on levels and do water changes as needed. You have a big tank and a lot of rock so that is in your favor too. But IMO atleast a couple extra water changes are in order.

meowzer

Is there anyway you can position a powerhead so it could POSSIBLY blow it out of the cave?

IF NOT, I would do as reef said...check your levels and prepare water for waterchanges JIC

I know with my cuc...if it dies, I rarely ever see even a bone LOL

rlablan

So you really think that I can just leave him? I am so worried... Its just so gross!!!

But really... I don't want to take apart my entire reef to get this guy.

I don't have that good of a cuc. Do I need to beef it up? I have a few large turbo snails, I have like 30 small hermits, an emerald crab, and about 20 or so assorted snails like nerite, cerinth... etc. Currently, I don't have an shrimps... Is this gonna be enough to consume him?

Thanks

rlablan

There is no way that I can get a power head there. It's like a cave of rocks kinda like grotto style? Does that make sense? It's like um... almost completely enclosed.

AND WTF... Where are all the smileys? I have 3. That is not cool.

rlablan

meowzer.

You keep the stars right? I have never kept those. I have like 20 of these little miniature serpent stars... But they were hikers.

I have always been afraid to keep the bristle or serpeants. Do you like them? Do they eat stuff they aren't supposed to? I keep several smaller gobies that are sand dwelling. Would he eat them? I can go pick up some CUC today if that is advised. I just want to some sure that I get the right stuff. What would ya'll suggest? Shrimps? stars??

Thanks
Rae

meowzer

I have one brittle star in my 29G and my 54G tank, and 2 brittle stars and 1 serpent in my 225G. I have never had anything get eaten that did not need to be eaten..LOL

I also have some sand dwelling fish...still do :)

I am not in the least worried if something dies and I can not get to it

OH...The smilies....they were there earlier...I think they are still tweaking the upgrade

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/379751/large-fish-died-and-i-can-t-get-to-it#post_3301781
a brittle star or serpent might help ...
Hi,

+1 Those are the big fish eating guys for sure. A couple of these guys will clean it right up.

I also have one of those alert badges for ammonia, that you can check at a glance if things are going south. You can see the ammonia levels climb before it hits the point of no return..long before critters show stress. As soon as mine started to change color I started my water change, I kept one on my tank when my heater broke and had killed everything but the fish.

rlablan

lol I wish they would just quite it with the upgrades already. Vbulletin was horrible and this is better... lol but still. I just want to get on a website and have it work!!! AHHHH!!! jk jk

Good to be on here though, Where have I been?

So do you think that it would be in my best interest to drive over and pick up some CUC members? I just don't want my tank it crash.

meowzer

I don;t see how your tank will crash from 1 fish....YES...I have read the horror stories too, BUT....You will be watching and ready to act with a water change....I bet you're making one now (LOL)

AND YES, I would get a brittle...or 2....

rlablan

lol well I'm not making one now. I'm watching two and a half men and sitting on my Macbook. lol

But I did just do a water change. I think I will drive on over to a LFS and grab a couple of serpent stars. or are bristle stars better? 1 of each?

rlablan

On the phone with the LFS and they don't have serpents. They only have brittle stars. He said that they are only about 3 inches in total arm length. Also, he said that they won't eat the body. Is this true??I trust you guys more but I am unsure now.

Should I buy these brittle stars? Or should I get something else?

Thanks so much for the quick replies.

Rae

rlablan

Well... Swf.com says that they scavenge and that they are good at eating waste... I think this LFS man is silly. I am gonna go buy a couple.

Thanks for the quick replies guys! I like that you're always there when I need ya... you 3 are alway around. I love it! I'll post and let ya know progress when I get the stars in there.

The crabs and stars will def. be munching away on it. But thats a larger fish and if I had to guess will be partially rotting for at least a day. So again test once or twice and if necessary do a water change.

rlablan

Okay. so I bought two pretty decent sized brittle stars and they look hungry lol.

I won't be able to have enough water ready for a few hours. probably more. My RO is kinda slow. But it works fine. I think everything will be just fine. Im about to put these stars in, and Im just gonna drop them close to the fish body!

I hope they eat him up!

Thanks guys! i'll keep posting and letting you guys know!

flower

Hi,

By the way...Sorry for your loss. The big Hippo had to be around for a while, if mine died I would be crying.

rlablan

I am very sad. I am just more concerned about the rest of my little fishes. Plus my new tank. I really don't want it all fouled up. I just don't know what to do... I am sitting and waiting.