Large hole in Giant Devils Hand...plz help

reef dude

I have had a giant Devils hand leather for over 3 years now and it is to say the least, monstrous, stretching an honest 17-18 inches in diameter when fully open. Just yesterday, a small hole at the center of the hand ripped into a dime sized hole, exposing the inner tissue. The hole is right at the center of the coral on the uppermost surface which shapes the rounded top of the mushroom shaped coral. The hole doubled in just one day and i want to control the rate if not stop the hole from ripping open even larger. I squirted lugols solution over the area but why could this have happened?
2 175watt halides (10,000k)
2 actinic pc's
dose kalkwasser all calcium good
just changed brand new bulbs?? burned a hole perhaps?
please suggest any methods to help save this beautiful coral
-dave

mudplayerx

Could be something dining on the coral. Perhaps a bearded fireworm or some kind of shrimp. Your best bet is to use a red marker and color over the lense of a flashlight. Use it to spy on your tank at night and see if any critters are munching on it.

X

xnikki118x

Originally Posted by mudplayerx
Could be something dining on the coral. Perhaps a bearded fireworm or some kind of shrimp. Your best bet is to use a red marker and color over the lense of a flashlight. Use it to spy on your tank at night and see if any critters are munching on it.
This is going to sound dumb, but why red? I always use a normal flashlight to look into my tank at night.