LARGE Plywood Tank Build

bronco300

well I'm HOPING that tonight I'll be able to bring the tank down and start doing the final sections...its been colder so the epoxy is being crappy as far as hardening goes

bronco300

nothing new yet, had to hold off for a bit, messed up on one of my epoxies in the wavebox so i'll have to redo it.

bronco300

just a layer of epoxy on the 45deg piece in the wavebox...I'm going to scrap it out and take it down and finish the tank itself, IF i have enough i'll finish the wavebox..if not I'm not sure i'll use it...we'll see(depends if i can sell enough frags to afford more epoxy resin,lol)

bronco300

haha, i apologize guys...its been busy around here and depressing on my

[hr]
up and havingh to basically do away with the wavebox for now...BUT i'm hoping to get back into tonight and get my next side ready to go!!

kogle

Just got a chance to read through all of this Bronco. Looks good and it's huge. Good work so far and it looks like you've planned it out well. Can't wait to see the final product. Be careful or you might be hosting the IRC meeting at your house from time to time!
Kris

O

otty

Nice build so far. There is only one thing I would do different with you tank is buy the biggest pump you can get on that tank for a closed loop. I had about 2,800gph pumps running a OM and it wasn't moving the water very good in a 265g. Once you get in a tank that big it will take a monster pump to move the water good.
Believe me I was lucky enough to find some one to buy my old ones so I could upgrade but still was a big waste of money. You can always put a valve after the pump and dial it down but you can't get more out of a small pump.
Also look for 220v motors as it will save you a ton in kilowatt usage throughout the year. Most everything on my tank is ran by 220v even the O3 generator.
Keep us posted as you will host a IRC meeting once you are done. lol

bronco300

Originally Posted by Bronco300
http:///forum/post/2622773
haha, i apologize guys...its been busy around here and depressing on my

[hr]
up and havingh to basically do away with the wavebox for now...BUT i'm hoping to get back into tonight and get my next side ready to go!!
hahahaha, that bleeped word is not a curse word, just so everyone knows, on my mess up then

Originally Posted by KOgle
http:///forum/post/2627146
Just got a chance to read through all of this Bronco. Looks good and it's huge. Good work so far and it looks like you've planned it out well. Can't wait to see the final product. Be careful or you might be hosting the IRC meeting at your house from time to time!
Kris
lol, thanks...i'm going to try and clean the garage again and bring the tank of its edge and start the next side
Originally Posted by Otty

http:///forum/post/2627696
Nice build so far. There is only one thing I would do different with you tank is buy the biggest pump you can get on that tank for a closed loop. I had about 2,800gph pumps running a OM and it wasn't moving the water very good in a 265g. Once you get in a tank that big it will take a monster pump to move the water good.
Believe me I was lucky enough to find some one to buy my old ones so I could upgrade but still was a big waste of money. You can always put a valve after the pump and dial it down but you can't get more out of a small pump.
Also look for 220v motors as it will save you a ton in kilowatt usage throughout the year. Most everything on my tank is ran by 220v even the O3 generator.
Keep us posted as you will host a IRC meeting once you are done. lol
what kind of pump were you thinking? and 220v...how would i go about doing that, i know nothing of electricity and all that junk...i need dedicated outlets for that or what

O

otty

http:///forum/post/2628241
what kind of pump were you thinking? and 220v...how would i go about doing that, i know nothing of electricity and all that junk...i need dedicated outlets for that or what
Try Reeflo pumps (HammerHead low speed, high flow) as they are Baldor motors that are capable of running multi voltages plus they are repairable motors. You get the pumps and make sure you have two spaces free in your breaker box and I'll help you save some money on electricity. Still owe you one for helping me latch on to that Ocean Motion valve. You should also look into MH's being 220v too. Need to think about how much this tank is going to cost to just run it, not stock it. That is one thing most people forget to factor into the budget.

bronco300

http:///forum/post/2631091
Try Reeflo pumps (HammerHead low speed, high flow) as they are Baldor motors that are capable of running multi voltages plus they are repairable motors. You get the pumps and make sure you have two spaces free in your breaker box and I'll help you save some money on electricity. Still owe you one for helping me latch on to that Ocean Motion valve. You should also look into MH's being 220v too. Need to think about how much this tank is going to cost to just run it, not stock it. That is one thing most people forget to factor into the budget.

haha, oh dont worry ive thought about it many times, or i get reminded by the wifey about it,lol.....i'm useing a sequence 5500, so its close to the hammerhead in flow, and same company. i have plenty of space in the break and was already going to make some dedicated outlets for this tank...so i could definitely use you!

Originally Posted by yannifish

http:///forum/post/2631725
The tank looks great! How many more sides do you have to epoxy?

i have 4 left i think(remember i started with 23+)..so i'm close, i just have a lot on the plate right now

O

otty

http:///forum/post/2633221
I'm useing a sequence 5500, so its close to the hammerhead in flow, and same company.
Just make sure it is a muti voltage motor. If you have the paperwork or you can e-mail the web site to get the jumper setting for the motor as that is what I did because they didn't come with the pump.

bronco300

http:///forum/post/2634353
Just make sure it is a muti voltage motor. If you have the paperwork or you can e-mail the web site to get the jumper setting for the motor as that is what I did because they didn't come with the pump.

got the wiring diagram from them and they said it is 115/230v

wattsupdoc

Luke, I just want to make sure you understand that running a pump at twice the voltage wont save you twice the energy.
Also, running a MH at higher voltages wont save you ANY money. The pump might save a tad bit as it will have more umph to the hump. In other words it will push the water slightly better as it has increased pressure(electrical I mean) turning the impeller. This may be a very trivial amount if any savings watts
so ever. Definitely the pump will run better, have more power to pump the water, but realistically 5%or so higher efficiency is probably about right.
Also, now you would have 220 in use on the tank, not a problem really, and the pump will run better, but be sure you gfi protect that circuit. A 2 pole 20 gfi breaker will do the trick, but can be a tad pricey. also if the pump has a bonding lug on the housing, USE IT!. This should have a continuous, unbroken wire connecting the pump to the building ground. You can use the same ground you use to come from the panel to feed the circuit, but bond securely in the make up compartment also. Do this regardless of what voltage you feed it with please.

O

otty

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
http:///forum/post/2635434
Luke, I just want to make sure you understand that running a pump at twice the voltage wont save you twice the energy.
Also, running a MH at higher voltages wont save you ANY money.
I don't know what cracker of a school you went to but you must have skipped the electrical class. If you have no ideal what you are talking about you should just keep your mouth shut. Sure does make a person look very uneducated......Was nothing said about twice the energy just savings in kilowatts.
You know how to do math???
P=IxE ..... I=P/E ...... E=P/I
P=Watts
I=Amps
E=Volts
From Grainger on 400w MH ballest
Operating Amps @ 120V 4.1
Operating Amps @ 208V 2.3
Operating Amps @ 240V 2.0
Operating Amps @ 277V 1.7
Operating Amps @ 480V 1.0
492=4.1 x 120
478=2.3 x 208 (but you will be running more towards 221 in Indiana so the number will be lower)
Just do your math to convert to kilowatt and that is what you will save. We pay the electrical company for kilowatts not voltage.
Doesn't seem like that much but now take that times 24 hrs a day 365 days a year and you will save money. You can do the same math on the pump.
I sometime wonder why people speak of something they know nothing about. No wonder new comers mess up so much stuff.

bronco300

now now people, lets not start a death match on my thread, take it outside(aquarium) to start a war!

I just look at both pumps and they only say 115v...i believe they should say 115-220 if they are interchangable...so not sure what i'll do because unless i get some cash out of these good guys i can't afford to buy new pumps...the other pump may be a dart after all and i know those already run at like 1.4 amps or so max.

wattsupdoc

http:///forum/post/2635592
I don't know what cracker of a school you went to but you must have skipped the electrical class. If you have no ideal what you are talking about you should just keep your mouth shut. Sure does make a person look very uneducated......Was nothing said about twice the energy just savings in kilowatts.
You know how to do math???
P=IxE ..... I=P/E ...... E=P/I
P=Watts
I=Amps
E=Volts
From Grainger on 400w MH ballest
Operating Amps @ 120V 4.1
Operating Amps @ 208V 2.3
Operating Amps @ 240V 2.0
Operating Amps @ 277V 1.7
Operating Amps @ 480V 1.0
492= 4.1 x 120
478=2.3 x 208 (but you will be running more towards 221 in Indiana so the number will be lower)
Just do your math to convert to kilowatt and that is what you will save. We pay the electrical company for kilowatts not voltage.
Doesn't seem like that much but now take that times 24 hrs a day 365 days a year and you will save money. You can do the same math on the pump.
I sometime wonder why people speak of something they know nothing about. No wonder new comers mess up so much stuff.
<<YEAH, or when they think the know more than they really do!>>
Boy, what a jerk you are
I have 23 years in the industry. I hold a Master license since 1999. You?
So according to the graingers specs there it's more economical to run this ballast at 277 than it is 480?
277 X 1.7 = 470.9
And, well, any idiot can see that 480 X 1 = 480.
Since 208 is a 3 phase voltage that you don't have in a RESIDENCE! and Indiana itself does not have a set voltage of 221 volts, it can vary from pot to pot at each home you know. You have to use a number more along the standard, like 240. And then HMMM you can clearly see that the power is the same at 480 as it is at 240!!!! WHY is that? If operating it at higher voltages is more economical? Even IF those numbers are correct, you can see that the difference is nominal, you would theoretically use 288, watt/hour less per day. Now that's not kilowatts hours, which cost you somewhere around 10 to 18 cents a KILOWATT HOUR. So every 4 days you would save approximately 1 kilowatt hour. OH, but wait a minute, that's figuring a 24 hour photo period, Luke's not going to run a 24 hour photo period, he might run say a 12 hour period. So then lets see. that's 144 watt/hours per day, so in one week there he'll use 1008 watt/hours less, oh boy a whole kilowatt a week, that's 52 kilowatt hours a year, at say even 25 cents a kilowatt hour which is a VERY high rate, Luke MIGHT save a whole 13 bucks a year. WOOOOHOOOO
lets get all excited about that. The thing is those differences are so minimal, and trivial that it is really no savings to speak of. As well as those numbers can vary from fixture to fixture. I mean we are talking about a difference of .1 amp here. This is IMO, is no difference.
Now the savings on the pump might be a little better percentage wise. But still not much.