Larger Cleaner Shrimp Bad Influence?

alvin

Hi SWF,
Ok, so I had a pretty large cleaner shrimp that was a lazy butt and didn't really clean my fish. My Foxface and my Blue Hippo would go right to its face, and the cleaner shrimp would either leave or just not do anything. So, I decided to buy a 2nd cleaner, much smaller than the larger, to see if it would clean. I placed it on the opposite side of the tank hoping that it would have its own territory. Well, it looks like the larger shrimp was able to "persuade" the little one into it's territory, and now they BOTH don't clean! Any suggestions? Oh, I saw the little one cleaning fish like crazy when I got it at the LFS.
Your feedback is much appreciated

jackri

Originally Posted by alvin
http:///forum/post/3050195
Hi SWF,
Ok, so I had a pretty large cleaner shrimp that was a lazy butt and didn't really clean my fish. My Foxface and my Blue Hippo would go right to its face, and the cleaner shrimp would either leave or just not do anything. So, I decided to buy a 2nd cleaner, much smaller than the larger, to see if it would clean. I placed it on the opposite side of the tank hoping that it would have its own territory. Well, it looks like the larger shrimp was able to "persuade" the little one into it's territory, and now they BOTH don't clean! Any suggestions? Oh, I saw the little one cleaning fish like crazy when I got it at the LFS.
Your feedback is much appreciated

What are they supposed to clean? Are your fish covered in parasites?
These cleaner shrimp may or may not "clean" your fish based on individual personalities but don't count on any particular creature to do something as the whole species is known to do something.
My cleaner doesn't touch my fish -- but they are all disease free, bought him for looks and personality.

alvin

Hmm Good point. My fish seem to be all healthy, I just figured that if a fish shoves their body next to the cleaner shrimp, the shrimp is supposed to jump on and "clean". Maybe the fish got food stuck between its teeth or something?
Should I buy another cleaner shrimp? Take the larger one out?

alvin

Ok, it's been since May, and the 2 Cleaners are still hiding in their small Cave. I don't see them roaming around at all, except when it is dark, and that is only sometimes. Is my Bang Cardinal scaring them possibly? Or should I go with my original plan and buy a 3rd one haha. Man, They can only fit so many shrimp in that cave of theirs.
Any other feedback on this? I at least want to see my Cleaners up and about when the lights are on.
Should I try to catch the Cardinal?

melypr1985

in my experience with shrimp they dont come out and "play" during the day unless you feed. All three of my shrimp stay hidden in their caves all day and most come out when I feed the tank or at night. Dont count on seeing them that often. If I were you, I would leave them be, they are doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing - Living.

rcdude1990

i doubt the shrimp is being a bad influence lol, wen the fish swim close to the shrimp does the shrimp at least "feel" the fish with his white long antenas? also u can try mayb layin some pellet food by them jus to c if they run out of the cave and get it. some shrimp might clean the fish and some dont, i believe someone mentioned it since it depends if the fish has a disease. my cleaner sometimes cleans my fish for the fun of it but somtimes. also if u want u can try putting ur hand in the tank and placing a few inches away from the shrimp and c if the shrimp cleans u, heel feel around with his antenas then jump on ur hand, its a wierd feeling but its cool to c. give it a try

flower

I had two very large cleaner shrimps, but one didn't make it after my move...I purchased another, but it was much smaller. They are buddies and hang out together.
If there is nothing to "clean" they don't bother the fish and the fish won't come to them for anything.
Creatures in nature, unlike humans are not "lazy" they do what it takes to survive. If there is nothing to "clean" then they just hang out.
rcdude1990...The are sea bugs, and while I like to watch them...LOL...I don't want them on me! However I have seen my cleaners go for a ride on my fish, that was fun to see.

stanlalee

you just have lazy cleaners. they dont need anything to clean to clean. I use to stick my FINGER by them daily and they would go right to work cleaning perfectly clean and foreign to them fingers.
and cleaners dont just clean parasites, dead/injured flesh, debri, slime ect. they will clean perfectly healthy fish.

alvin

Yah, when I feed my tank, they rush out a bit from their cave, but just far enough to grab food and back in they go. When I had a cleaner long before, it would chase after fish, which was fun to watch. Oh well, I guess I should be happy they are alive and not dead. And yah, sometimes my Tang goes near them, but they just go back to their cave.
Thanks for your comments!

J

jetskiking

My cleaner shrimp would not clean fish that were already clean. I could put a new fish in the tank or stick my finger in and it would clean away but didn't bother with the existing fish.

rcdude1990

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3142415

I had two very large cleaner shrimps, but one didn't make it after my move...I purchased another, but it was much smaller. They are buddies and hang out together.
If there is nothing to "clean" they don't bother the fish and the fish won't come to them for anything.
Creatures in nature, unlike humans are not "lazy" they do what it takes to survive. If there is nothing to "clean" then they just hang out.
rcdude1990...The are sea bugs, and while I like to watch them...LOL...I don't want them on me! However I have seen my cleaners go for a ride on my fish, that was fun to see.

lmao, there great, i didnt no they were sea bugs, there cool tho lol, and they tickle u wen u have ur hand in the tank, they def wont harm you (meaning bute, draw blood ect.) they jus feel u

geckoxp

The same could be said about certain people too you know?
Most cleaner shrimp actually combine in groups and do there thing together. I have a coral banded shrimp (not really a cleaner) and a cleaner shrimp...my coral banded cleans my fish but my little cleaner just sits there and chills out waiving back and forth...ah well its neat watching them though!
So having cleaner shrimp group up with one another is normal depending on the type of cleaner shrimp you have.