Latest Readings...does this make sense??

mimzy

Hi all! OK...I've been shamefully neglecting my tank throughout October because of holidays and family and whatnot, and have thusly suffered a cyano outbreak.
I just spent 45 minutes scraping it off of every surface I could get to in the tank (that's a lotta time for a 12 gallon tank!!!), and tried to get as much of it out as possible. I've begun a regimen for fewer hours of light each day, and I am also planning to do a series of progressively larger water changes (1.5 gallons tommorrow, 3 gallons Friday, 5 gallons sunday).
I took all the readings I've got equipment to test, and am a bit confuzzled by my results.
Could they be off b/c of all the algae/cyano scarping I did an hour ago?
Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated!
Ammonia; 0
NitrAte; 80 :thinking:
Nitrite; 0
Alkalinity; 180/240 :notsure:
ph; 8.4
Salinity; 33
SG; 1.024

mavgi

i suggest to you to make tomorrow 4 gallon of water change you want to reduce your nitrate urgent.
because you clean the tank all the waste increase the nitrate.
i don't know what type of test kit you have maybe it is not accurate but from what i read first do the water change and if you can add power head to your tank to be shore that you have a good water circulation control on your lighting time and you will dissolve the cyano problem to.

angelsrock

2 ways to deal with it, you can do a series of small water changes until the cyano is gone. or you can use maracyn medication made by mardel which will take care of it and is safe for inverts.

mavgi

Originally Posted by angelsrock
2 ways to deal with it, you can do a series of small water changes until the cyano is gone. or you can use maracyn medication made by mardel which will take care of it and is safe for inverts.
i wouldn't put any madication in the tank , they can tell you it's safe but you can harm
tha tank.the best way is to make water change and to creat better water circulation in the tank.
good water chang will reduce the nitrate quick

J

jdragunas

i completely agree.. i never medicate my tank!!! I saw a thread once in the archives about how to get rid of cyano... hold on, i'll find it.

mimzy

oh wow - I was impatient last night when I didnt get any answers in this forum and posted in Reef Tanks instead. Just checked here for the heck of it..
thank you all so much for your help! that thread was awesome, Jdrag!
Y'all rock!