lava rock

marinfire1

is it possible to turn lava rock into into live rock...its alot cheaper and i kno it can be seeded...but id be worried about toxic gases stayin in the rock and comming out much later...what are your thoughts? i deffitenly wouldnt do it in the DT but maybe a kiddy pool or something...
thanks

wangotango

real lava rock from actual volcanos is a no no, it has sulfur and all sorts of bad stuff in it. they have man made lava rock that looks more like tufa thats colored dark red which you could use. you could just put it in and eventually it will be covered in coraline.
-Justin

d0 thy d3w

i was actually thinkin the same thing...maybe ill google it later...and see what all is in lava rock to see how bad it really is...id think it cant be too bad...underwater volcanoes errupt all the time..as well as volcanoes on small islands that flow into the ocean....so logically the lava cant be tooo bad...

reefkprz

Originally Posted by d0 thy d3w
iso logically the lava cant be tooo bad...

lava rock can contain in totaly unspecified amounts almost anything, but It was found that iron, in the form of Fe2+ and Fe3+, was present in lava rock in dominance in biofilteration research, not good for marine tanks. not to mention the abundance of feldspar and other bad hebbie jeebies *(heebie jeebies is the technical term
)
we dump thousands of gallons of crude oil into the ocean each year too but I'm not about to dump any in my tank.