Lawnmower Blenny is Trapped!!!

jr1053

I hope someone can help on this one! My lawnmower blenny has gotten himself trapped between the 2 plates that make up my overflow filter. Has gone all the way to the bottom of the overflow as well which must have a height of about 24 inches from top to bottom and I can't seem to try to coax him out. There seems to be only about 1/2 inch clearance between the two walls comprising the overflow so my hands and none of my tools can make it in there to try to rescue him. There seems to be plenty of algae in there so he won't starve to death but that will eventually happen and it kills me to see him in there because he has a great disposition and is usually very very active. If he does not make it I'm not even sure that I'll ever be able to get the body out of there as well. How can I prevent any other fish from sharing the same fate?
Any creative or helpful suggestions???? Thanks to all!
John

oceana

wow i assume you have an AGA over flow. but i am shocked a Algea blenny could get in there. thats a very small gap. if it was me i would chalk it up to a loss and hope he gets out. but if i really wanted him out i would break the little vented inlet at the bottom to make it easy to get him out then i would silicon a screen over it..

jr1053

Yep it's a reef type glass tank with a pretty solidly built overflow in one of the corners. I'm not sure I could try to break it without scaring him into another area and causing perhaps stress cracks in the main body of the overflow.
John

oceana

this is what i picture your problem is.
you can try taking a long skiny stick about the same width as the opening and use it to corner the blenny. shut off your over flow and let the tank fill up as much as you can then shut off your return. then slowly left the stick at and angle so that it pushes out the fish into the larger part of the over flow where a net can be used. will be a pain but should work

oceana

this is what a cut out of the rescue would look like. the fish wont let you crush it and should hop up the stick and ride it to the top

jr1053

Your pictures and solution are right on the mark! Probably will be spending the night working on this but the little guy's earned it. Thanks again.
John

jambi0n

Hey everyone,
There are a lot of alge building up in the top area of my overflow area. Should I remove that or should I just leave it.
Thanks,
J