Leaf Scorpionfish

110innc

Could I keep a leaf scorpion with a skunk cleaner shrimp,peppermint shrimps,scooter blenny,and possibly a pistol shrimp,goby pair? Its a 110 with LS and LR.

sepulatian

They are very cool little fish! Keep in mind that they eat live foods. Don't house him with other fish that are likely to steal his ghost shrimp away. They are not fast and can not go in with any aggressive fish. Their mouths are too small to bother the ornamental shrimp that you have.

110innc

Another question is it a given fact they eat live or can they be thrained to eat frozen? I know there venomous but how potent are they if they sting me? What it going to cause?

110innc

I also have a yellow & hippo tang are they going to steal its food? Thanks in advance just trying research them before I get one.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by 110inNC
http:///forum/post/2614993
Another question is it a given fact they eat live or can they be thrained to eat frozen? I know there venomous but how potent are they if they sting me? What it going to cause?

You MAY get lucky enough to train one to eat frozen, but it would have to look alive. They are not as easy as lions to train. I have never been stung by one, so I cannot tell you what it would feel like.
Originally Posted by 110inNC

http:///forum/post/2614995
I also have a yellow & hippo tang are they going to steal its food? Thanks in advance just trying research them before I get one.

They do better in small tanks with small tank mates. The tangs will be more than happy to go for his food and will be much quicker to grab it than he will be.

myerst22

Hello I don't have a leafy scorpion but I do have a rhinopias. I have tried everything possible to switch him to frozen but to no avail. He is with really aggressive feeders, so what I do is feed all the other fish and then I trained my Rhinopias to associate a net with food. The other fish see the net and they run for cover, whereas the rhinopias hops and jumps into the net to get his damsel.
Not sure what genus your considering, but if it's the one I'm thinking of they are almost stricyly fish eaters. Also I think cleaner shrimp may be too large for them to eat. My rhinopias will not eat live shrimp, he only eats live fish. Your best bet would be to add the shrimp first and the leafys last. As a suggestion try and get a pair. It is one of the coolest things to see a pair of leaf scorpions swaying together waiting for their next meal. Hope this helps. Regards, Tim

110innc

Thanks for sepulatian and myerst both of you were helpful. I was going to ask about the net because I read you could do that. What kind of fish do you feed yours and how often myerst? Do you raise the food for it or buy it? A pair of them would be really cool definity will think about all this before getting one.

myerst22

In the winter months I feed damsels. I feed my Rhino about twice a week. Don't know what type of metabolism they have but I would think 3 times a week would be sufficient. In the warmer months I catch food for the Rhino in the bays where I live. I love the warmer months, free feeders, ghost shrimp, pods, and algae everywhere. I know LA has a pair right now and they may very well of weened them onto to prepared foods. I got my Rhino knowing he only ate live. I would of waited for a Rhino that was eating prepared foods, but for $200 I couldn't say no. On the other hand the best attribute of these great fish is watching them sway while hunting. When I ran a fish room years ago, the leafs would sway when they saw the net, just as my Rhino hops and sways when he sees a net. My friend in Hawaii whom I get most of my fish from catches them frequently. Regards, Tim

110innc

Originally Posted by myerst22
http:///forum/post/2616938
In the winter months I feed damsels. I feed my Rhino about twice a week. Don't know what type of metabolism they have but I would think 3 times a week would be sufficient. In the warmer months I catch food for the Rhino in the bays where I live. I love the warmer months, free feeders, ghost shrimp, pods, and algae everywhere. I know LA has a pair right now and they may very well of weened them onto to prepared foods. I got my Rhino knowing he only ate live. I would of waited for a Rhino that was eating prepared foods, but for $200 I couldn't say no. On the other hand the best attribute of these great fish is watching them sway while hunting. When I ran a fish room years ago, the leafs would sway when they saw the net, just as my Rhino hops and sways when he sees a net. My friend in Hawaii whom I get most of my fish from catches them frequently. Regards, Tim
thanks