Leak coming from plum kit.

fishy7

I have a little leak(2 drops per day) and it needs to be addressed. Any leak is all bad.
I am not sure how to take there off or can I juust add some sealer? What do you recommend I do here?

acrylic51

First you need to identify exactly where the leak is coming from....Smearing silicone is a half

[hr]
fix that shouldn't be done....anytime you have a leak regardless how small you should take the necessary steps to redo it.....
Looking at the pic are you sure the bulkhead itself (the nut) is tight? It might take a little bit more of a turn? What about the gasket as well?

fishy7

I have not tried to tighten them at all. First, I am not sure how they all fit together. 2nd I am stopping at my LFS and buy a new one before I even touch this one. Do not want to have a mess and no fix.
Thanks for the advice!

my way

It's hard to tell from that pic. Is the gasket inside or outside the tank? It looks like it might be on the wrong side, the gasket goes on the inside of the tank. From where you have it circled it would appear you have,
1} A loose bulkhead fitting- tighten the nut on the bulhead, DO NOt let the bulkhead fitting spin while tightening, it can distort the gasket.
2} The gasket is on the wrong side of the glass- Put the gasket on the inside of the tank.
3} A bad gasket- replace the gasket.
As Acrylic said, DON't use silicone to seal this, it will only make a mess and if it does seal it, chances are it won't last as silicone does'nt stick to plastic ( the bulkhead)

acrylic51

The way I'm looking at the pic as well, can't tell if the gasket is on the inside, but I honestly think it is.....I think what you circled is actually part of the nut.....On some bulkheads I've seen the nuts are pretty thick or bigger than others........Not a bad idea to pick up a new bulkhead ahead of time......

acrylic51

I thought it appeared on the inside of the tank as well I think the nut is a little decieving in the pic though......I would shut the system down and see if you can get up there and loosen them and clean all the salt creep away and tighten them up.......At times I've had to get my big channel locks out due to space and to give me the little extra "umph" you might need.....If that fails I would swap them out with the new ones....

fishy7

UPDATE:
Friday night, I checked my tank one last time since the normal sound my pumps make was off a small fraction. My little leak turned into a 6 inch puddle. Not a good thing to happen at 10:30PM and no spare parts. I planned on shutting down the tank and changing out the parts as suggested on Saturday. Spend the $10 for a piece of mind.

Broke out the towles and channel locks. I gave them a little turn and it stopped and what a big sigh of relief.

Started to clean up the water and it started to leak even more.......
Tighten a little more stopped for a bit....then it started to pour out as a steady stream on my pumps and floor.

Drained the bulkhead down and called my neighbor who has a 215. He came over and we tried to work the issue, no luck.... He did not have any spare parts and could not bypass.
Broke down made the call and my tang guy. He showed up in 1/2 hour, replaced the parts and the tank was up and running by 12:30A. Cost was $88. Worth it to me.
Next to the emergency number for your vet add one for your tank

You never know when you just might need it.

acrylic51

So basically just crappy bulkheads???? Sometimes tightening will make it worse.....Glad it's fixed!!!!!!