Leaking Fluval...I have HAD IT!!!!!

dcr

I put up with a leaking Fluval 104 by putting it in a 5 gallon bucket and draining it every once in a while. I have a 30 gallon tank, and I am moving it to a new house this week and I can't have a leak or a 5 gallon bucket on the floor. This Fluval sucks, so what can I get to replace it that does the same or better job but doesn't leak?

asbury030

you could make a fuge. or buy a hang on fuge to hang on the back of ur tank. I have a canister filter and it pissed me off so now im buying a hang on fuge and growing plant in it for my filter.HTH

P

pet lover

If you want a good canister filter then consider a Magnum 350 deluxe or Eheim Pro . I have 4 magnums and 1 Eheim and NEVER had any problems....
I would have all Eheims because you don't have to do maint. on them as often and they are VERY good and very Quiet but they are expensive. The magnums are great ( mine are) because they start VERY easy and sre easy to maintain. I had one on a 30gal and it kept it VERY VERY clear. IMO these are the best.
I had a Fluval and threw it away because I could never get it to prime. It took me forever but I had a friend who could start one up w/no problem.
Anyway I guess you could do some research and see what you think would work for you.
You can't go wrong with a Magnum Deluxe and even better an Eheim Pro...
Good luck!
:happyfish

k8eydid

Sorry for the late post on this subject but recently I have had a problem with my Fluval 404 blowing air into the tank. I have had it for a year and didn't have any problems until I changed the carbon and added a Phospate removal media to one of the chambers. Now there seems to be a leak ( no water leaking our, just air leaking in) and I can't stand the BUBBLES! We have checked all of the o-rings (gaskets), hose connections, etc and can't find the leak. I know it is somewhere between the intake and the canister itself because you can hear the air when it hits the impeller. Has onyone had this problem with their Fluval and can they offer any suggestions short of buying a new filter system? Thanks!:help:

flatzboy

I'd buy a hang on skimmer, I reccomend the cpr bak-pak 2r for your 29g. tank. I't will do a better job then any canister filter can do. And I'd skipp the hot fuge because if its your oly filtration then you'll run into problems cause the hot fuges are big enough for any mal-nutrient removal, all they will really do is grow pod and other critters.

A

andretti

I have the same problem W/my 404; it drives me nuts!! Those tiny air bubbels (which are good for gas exchange) but my god they are more annoying than my mother -in-law! I've tried everything from repriming it, shaking it, taping on the canister & hoses, making sure everything is tight, I even drilled out the spraybar holes thinking less back- pressure would help, but NOTHING WORKS!! The filter is only <6mos old and it's been doing it since the first time I did maintenance on the tank. I am not new to this hobby, I've been doing it for 10 years and have two tanks: a 125 reef, and a 55 fish only. So my friend if it's any comfort...you are not alone with your discourages.

:mad:

k8eydid

Andretti,
My frustration led me to contact Hagen Corp via email. I got a reply from them and sent another response. Below are the messages: It might be worth it to send them some email - maybe there is a problem they need to know about.
Request : I have a Fluval 404 filter that has been in operation for 14 months. I recently added a phosphate removal medium to one of the baskets and since then there is an occasional burst of air through the output nozel into the aquarium. I have checked the motor seal ring, hose connections and self primer assembly connection and can't find any leaks. The air is flowing through the entire unit and makes noise when it does. The cannister is not located completely below the bottom of the aquarium level. The top of the unit is about 5" above the bottom of the aquarium. Could this location be the cause of the air build-up? Can you suggest any other reason for this? Thank you"
"Dear Kate,
Do you run any air pumps in your aquarium? If so, how close is the air output to the intake of the Fluval? Do your hoses run straight from the top of the aquarium to the top of the filter, or is there a bit of slack? When you primed the filter after adding the phosphate remover, did you start with the canister empty, or full of water? Also when priming, was the output nozzle above or below water level? Please reply.
Thank you,
Sharon Emond, Customer Service Dept.
Rolf C. Hagen (USA) Corp. "
"Dear Sharon,
Thank you for the reply. In answer to your questions, there are no air pumps but I have two power heads, one on each side of the 55 gal aquarium, mounted in the top rear corners, the Fluval intake is in the rear center of the tank with the end about 1 inch above the substrate. The hoses run from the top of the tank to the to of the Fluval, but my canister is not placed below the tank, it is off to the side and there is a little bit of slack. After I added the phosphate remover, the canister and hoses were still full of water, very little priming was needed and the output nozzle was below the water level. Our tank is set up on the 4' X 6' landing of our stairwell, 3 steps above the floor. I originally had the canister placed on the step below the landing, which put the top of the canister about 5 inches above the bottom of the tank. After reviewing the recommended set up again, I moved the location of the canister to the next lower step, placing the top of the canister at the same level of the bottom of the tank. This seems to have helped the problem quite a bit, but not completely. I am thinking the filter needs the additional assistance of gravity to feed properly. I will move the canister to the floor level, which will place the top of the canister below the bottom of the tank and see if this ends the air bubbles. If there is anything else you can recommend, please let me know. Thank you."
:confused:

k8eydid

I moved the filter to the floor and now the top of the canister is below the bottom of the intake nozzel. Gravity was all that was needed.
:jumping: :happy: :jumping: :happy: :jumping: :happy:

dea_mt

yeah i couldn't put up w/ the magnum because of all the bubbles. i just use dual seaclones. they still makes some bubbles but i'll take care of that with a bubble trap when i build my sump!!!
:happy:

dcr

I have the Seaclone 100 for a skimmer now...I read a previous post in here that suggests:
I'd buy a hang on skimmer, I reccomend the cpr bak-pak 2r for your 29g. tank. I't will do a better job then any canister filter can do. And I'd skipp the hot fuge because if its your oly filtration then you'll run into problems cause the hot fuges are big enough for any mal-nutrient removal, all they will really do is grow pod and other critters.
So, I could get rid of the fluval altogether, and just run a better skimmer?
I noticed the AquaC Remora is around $160..so I may get that one.