Leave it open?

speg

In a constant effort to keep the tempature in my tank down I have been leaving the glass hood open on the front part of my tank... im wondering if it would be a horrible idea to just remove the glass completely leaving the whole tank out in the open... Does anybody else do this? Does it work to keep temp down and help light hit corals better?
Lemme know please! :help:

scoobydoo

Do you have any jumpers? I removed the glass tops and put eggcrate on the top to prevent fish from jumping out or the kids from throwing anything in. The eggcrate will also let heat out. Also run a fan so that it blows across the top of your water and that should help lower your temp.

speg

My temp stays PERFECT... just as long as my AC doesnt break in my house :p Though thats been happening a lot lately..
I dont have any jumpers...really... but maybe if a fish got it in its head to leave the tank it might jump! :p
Got 3 blue/green chromis, 2 percs, yellow tang. Thats all.

scoobydoo

I thought you were having trouble with your temp? :notsure: I like the eggcrate as it keeps the temp stable and allows for more gas exchange on top. I also really hated cleaning the glass tops.

speg

Yeah I am concerned about temp.. but a secondary problem is the light going through the dirty glass top... which no matter how much I clean seems to get dirty the second after I put it back on. I may try the eggcrate idea... You know of a good source to get eggcrate? I plan on using some for my frag tank when I hit the lottery.. so would be nice to know where to get the stuff for future! :)

scoobydoo

Don't ask for eggcrate though, they'll look at you like you have 3 heads. Its usually in the lighting section. I love it. There is absolutely no cleaning involved.

speg

Originally Posted by scoobydoo
they'll look at you like you have 3 heads.

Why would they say that? umm.... what have you heard? .... I uh... I dont have three heads... haha... uh... yeah.....
seriously though what have you heard?

scoobydoo

Bang answered this in a previous thread to me cause I didn't know what they were called either:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy
They call them "light diffusers".

ophiura

There was a recent thread on them in New Hobbyists with some pictures. There are like white and chrome colored one's. It is literally like a plastic grid...they are in the light diffuser area but if you ask someone for it they may give you an actual sheet of plastic like what you find over flourescent fixtures. That isn't what you want. Look for the plastic grid stuff :yes:

snailheave

Originally Posted by scoobydoo
Don't ask for eggcrate though, they'll look at you like you have 3 heads. Its usually in the lighting section. I love it. There is absolutely no cleaning involved.
yes don't ask for an egg crate. the guy i talked to gave me this look and uttered the words "egg... crate?" then i described to him and he led me to it.
ask for lighting panels