Leaving the hobby

bang guy

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/3267192
Reading this makes me want to puke.
I ask myself if I am in the right forum. I'm really not a forum/internet/chat room kind of guy, but I chose this one (swf). And all too often, I see people come/go. Most of the time it's jackass's who leave (Crimzy comes to mind), but I have seen numerous "serious" reefers bail out as well from time to time. No, this post isn't going anywhere, just scratching my head wondering about myself...............................................................................................................................................................................................................
This hobby has given me over three dacades of enjoyment. Figuring out how things work, the endless experiments, chemistry enigmas, challenges, etc. It really does have it all and I would definately never discourage anyone away from it. I'll be here answering questions until you get bored with me. I would hate for all of the knowledge I've worked so hard to gain to evaporate before I can pass it along to other inquisitive hobbiests.

jackri

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///forum/post/3267227
This hobby has given me over three dacades of enjoyment. Figuring out how things work, the endless experiments, chemistry enigmas, challenges, etc. It really does have it all and I would definately never discourage anyone away from it. I'll be here answering questions until you get bored with me. I would hate for all of the knowledge I've worked so hard to gain to evaporate before I can pass it along to other inquisitive hobbiests.
This is how you get rid of your tanks and still contribute to the hobby in style

Hats off to you for all your contributions and knowledge!

stdreb27

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/3267197
RU and bacon man aside, Crimzy was a disgrace to the forum, as well his own self proclaimed religion. He made you laugh a time or two, but his heart (shown thru his post) had much do be desired. I apologize if you were friends with him, but no loss here.
Bang on the other hand, would be a serious blow to us all.
I guess I missed that...

bionicarm

Speaking of old timers, what ever happened to journey? His last post was April of last year. He fell off the map during/after his Iraq stint.

handbanana

Good Luck Bang
Im glad you will still honer us by answering questions and giving advice.
I for one could still use it.
Enjoy your land and the Earth. I sorely miss the woods and dirt. Cool air and water. Living in the desert sucks....
See ya man.

beaslbob

http:///forum/post/3267111
I'm downsizing my life. After keeping reef tanks for over 30 years I've made the difficult decision to reduce my impact on the environent. This means growing more of my own food, living more off the land, and reducing my energy consumption. A reef tank doesn't fit into this change of lifestyle. I will probably keep an aquarium, just not anything requiring intense lighting and massive waterflow.
If anyone still has an interest in the 30+ years of reefkeeping experience I have accumulated I'm still always available for advice.
Oh dern!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(I'm kinda downsizing also)
we will miss ya and still need your advice.
Are you gonna have a massive demolition and bond fire for all the stuff?

bang guy

I've heard that used live sand is great for tomatoes. The refugium is 3/4" marine ply so there's always a good use for that. The fish, corals, good live rock, etc. has been sold, the base rock is going to be cleaned and dried first and then sold.

florida joe

Bang some how in the back of my mind i hear you doing your best Harold impression
"I'LL BE BACK" !
If we do not talk again my friend
Vaya con Dios

flower

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3267965
Bang some how in the back of my mind i hear you doing your best Harold impression
"I'LL BE BACK" !
If we do not talk again my friend
Vaya con Dios

ARNOLD in Terminator

morales67

Bang guy you've been around for as long as I've known saltwaterfish (found the site when I was in middle school, now in college.) Hopefully you will be back because leaving the hobby is like 1st phase the the site is like the following phase...

nicetry

http:///forum/post/3267111
I'm downsizing my life. After keeping reef tanks for over 30 years I've made the difficult decision to reduce my impact on the environent. This means growing more of my own food, living more off the land, and reducing my energy consumption. A reef tank doesn't fit into this change of lifestyle. I will probably keep an aquarium, just not anything requiring intense lighting and massive waterflow.
If anyone still has an interest in the 30+ years of reefkeeping experience I have accumulated I'm still always available for advice.
How many times have we read posts from new or even half-hearted hobbiests that have suffered multiple set backs and disappointments in their saltwater endeavors, saying they're leaving the hobby. In most cases it isn't a surprise or shock and their decision probably save the lives of many fish/corals/etc.. To see an accomplished, educated and conscientious hobbiest like Guy decide to leave, really speaks to his true understanding of a bigger picture. "Downsizing his life", "reducing his impact on the environment"! Even in his departure from the hobby, he can still impart valuable advice. Kudos to you Guy, not only for years of help to many hobbiests, but for adhering to your principles and doing what is ultimately "right"!

reefforbrains

QUITTER!! Hahahaha
Ok, you already know I say it in jest. I do obviously lurk and even go so far as to type out the occasional response then delete before posting it as I typically have the anti band wagon position that tends to come out as abrasive.
For better, or for worse. I am always glad to see people with conviction make the changes they feel strongly about even in the face of sacrifice. You will be missed in the hobby, but hopefully not missed in the community. Good luck with all endeavors and I would say to be careful for what you wish for, but I already know you to be capable and resourceful. I look forward to seeing the other shoe drop and your direction bloom as your decision gains momentum beyond a foothold of simple radical change.
On the bright side it means I get a pass right? You decreased carbon footprint offsets my own grossly mismanaged and over indulged lifestyle right?
-RFB