LED light project

ricor_craz

Currently I have 257w (10K 96w, Act03 96w-purple, Act03 65w-blue) of pc light on my 55gal. I am thinking of getting 200 10mm 470nm blue LEDs with 50K mcd to replace the Act03 96w bulb. After the lights turn off, I did some testing last night with only 30 LEDs, my green bubble and green ricordia turned bright orange. Have anyone experienced with using LEDs light besides having it as moonlight?

chipmaker

I seriously doubt even 20o of the leds is gonna be anywhere near what the 96 watt equals in output.
I lkike the UV leds intermixed with the 460/470 blue leds commonly used for lunar lights or even UV leds alone. They do not illuminate as much as the blue leds do, but the make any florescent type critters just jump out at you in regards to brilliance and colors........reg blue led lunars illumnte and make them glow but also wash it out more with the extra billiance they produce.
Try mixing some UV and some typical blue leds..It looks awesome to me. Coraline algae is so so under actinic or lunar, but its like looking at one of those black velvet Elvis Presley paintings when view under UV's.

ricor_craz

200 LEDs would be around 50w. from my inital test of 30 LEDs ~7.5w, it seems it's compariable to regular 9w pc bulb.
summer is around the corner, would like to reduce the heat

ricor_craz

WOW, it's great but pricy, better off with DIY LEDs. i had asked the vendor from HK, they says that white LEDs are only 3500K - 6500K, don't know how they got up to 20,000K. if LEDs works it could replace all reef lightings as they are cheaper and does not produce much heat.
the best LEDs are 5w LEDs, it's a bit pricy ($20 each on ----) but still not as much as what the price on the ad.