LED lighting?

J

jackie dh

I just bought a LED fixture on ebay and I want to make sure that it's going to be enough for my 55 gallon reef of Zoos, Hammers and one lonely Derasa clam. The fixture has 162 Daylight LEDS and 12 460NM Actinic LEDS. I had been using 261 watts of T5 HO bulbs but the ballast died and I decided to try the LEDS.

J

jackie dh

I had a mental moment there, it's not Derasa clam, it's a Crocea clam.

some people will throw the watts/gallon rule, however, it can be misleading, you want to ensue you have enough usuable light, which leds produce higher values for.
is that the marine land reef capble hood? i read some less than great reveiws for it.

J

jackie dh

No, it's an cheaper off brand, it was the only way that I could venture into the LED world right now. The light should be a lot brighter than the Marineland version, it's got way more LEDS, probably 3 times as many. I should have it some time next week and I will update my post and let you know how more corals like it. I hope it works, I have a BIG electric bill every month with all my big pumps outside and all my lighting and smaller pumps inside. This thing could pay for itself in 6 months if it works out for tank.

acrylic51

Are you sure on the amount of white LEDs compared to the blue LEDs???? The numbers seem way out of proportion IMO.......That would give a very stark white appearance.....

mr. limpid

Do you know the watt of the LED bulbs? If they are only 1 watt they wont be enough for your clam, but enough for your Zoos and Hammers. If they are 3 watt then you are golden, also if it doesn't have a dimmer on the 3 watt version try using an egg create with several sheets of plastic window screen. Every month remove a sheet of screen, this will allow your clam and corals adjustment time for the different lighting.

J

jackie dh

I think that I'm screwed, LOL, if the website is right, they make a grand total of 11 watts, that is all the bulbs put together. :( Oh well, if it's total crap I can always use it on a fish only tank. Of course then I'm out their cost plus the new light that I will have to buy, it's not a great time to have to buy some thing twice. :(

cidly37

Led aquarium lights are very good,The led aquarium light can help coral and
Grasses grow,it also can makes your aquarium looks beautiful.
Cidly’s grow light are very good and cheap.