LED puck options........

acrylic51

Looking into several different LED puck options currently available....What's everyones input or thoughts?

Aurora Puck
$110.00
For full spectrum color lovers this is the ideal puck! You'll get 4 channels of control and 7 colors of LEDs! All LEDs are from our regular stock and each puck contains 4 XP-G2 cool white, 4 XT-E royal blue, 4 XP-E blue, 4 Violet UV, 2 XP-E Green, 2 XP-E Red, and 1 XP-E Red-Orange. Multiple pucks can be combined to form larger kits, though this may require a change of drivers. Channels are arranged as follows:
  • Channel 1 (1000mA max) - 4 Royal Blue + 3 Blue
  • Channel 2 (700mA max) - 2 Green + 1 Blue + 2 Red + 1 Red-Orange
    Channel 3 (1500mA max) - 4 Cool White
    Channel 4 (700mA max) - 4 Violet UV

The puck comes with your choice of Ecotech's regular or wide-angled lens, 4 Driver Jumpers, and 4 Solderless LED Plugs. Please note the maximum current thresholds on each channel and ensure your driver doesn't output more current than the LED strings can handle (also be careful of min/max voltages!). The puck measures ~4.75" long x 3.25" wide.
If you'd prefer a kit please take a look at our selection here: Aurora Puck Kits
[*]Click here for wiring instructions!

* Lens:
  • Regular
    Wide Angle (for shallow tanks or lights close to the water)

acrylic51

Borealis Luxeon Z Array (37 LED)
$125.00
We at Rapid LED are particularly proud of our new Borealis array. Subjectively, it produces the most beautiful color spectrum of any LED array we have built or seen -- it makes us all tingly inside. We like the way the light looks better than a Kessil, Radion, or AI, but it's ours, so of course we do. We chose the name Borealis because an Aurora Borealis emits beautiful green colors and our Borealis array has a beautiful spectrum and has 12 Luxeon Z Lime LEDs.
Luxeon Z Lime LEDs are new to the aquarium market and have three significant advantages. The first advantage is the ability to adjust color temperature (CCT in °K) without sacrificing spectrum. To adjust CCT in the Borealis, run all LED channels (4 total) at full power and adjust the lime channel intensity to change CCT. This allows for CCT adjustment without spectral degredation. You will get good, quality spectrum and CCT by just adjusting the Lime. Second, the Lime LEDs provide broad spectrum around the 550nm wavelength. Metal halide bulbs, a previous industry standard typically have a spectral output spike around 560nm. The Luxeon Z lime LEDs in the Borealis array allow it to better approximate aquarium specific metal halide bulb with LEDs. The third advantage of the Luxeon Z array is the size. With the Luxeon Z we can place high intensity LEDs close together for excellent color blending, yet far enough apart that heat is more efficiently removed from the LEDs than with an integrated array or single chip COB array. This should result in longevity due to lower LED junction temperatures.
This array outputs a tremendous amount of light in a very small area and has superb spectral output with easily adjustable CCT. At full power on all channels, the CCT is approximately 10k.
The Borealis has 4 separate LED channels and 6 differently colored LEDs. The CCT ranges from ~10k (all on at 100%) to slightly above 20k (turn the lime channel all the way down). All LEDs are Luxeon Z (about half the size of a regular CREE LED but similar output).
Channels are arranged as follows:
  • Channel 1 (1000mA max) - 5 Neutral White
  • Channel 2 (1000mA max) - 6 Royal Blue + 5 Blue
    Channel 3 (700mA max) - 12 Lime
    Channel 4 (700mA max) - 5 Violet UV + 4 Deep Red (660nm)
We currently do not offer a reflector/lens for this array. Please note the maximum current thresholds on each channel and ensure your driver doesn't output more current than the LED strings can handle (also be careful of min/max voltages!). The puck measures ~2.5" long x 1.75" wide.
Due to the high number of LEDs in such a small footprint, please ensure you have adequate cooling for the array. We suggest using high quality thermal interface material (arctic silver, ceramique, or alumina) and fans, fans, and more fans.

Included with the array are 4 Driver Jumpers (end plugs not required)

acrylic51

This exclusive LED, the CREE Lumia 5.2, is perfect if you want a simple yet powerful way to setup your LED lighting.
Lumia, meaning art created with light, brings a full spectrum light to your corals/fish that really brings the colors and beauty out in them with an emphasis on keeping power consumption low.
We have taken our experiencing in designing fixtures for commercial and DIY customers and developed a chip that delivers a full spectrum punch with a small footprint on a high end solid copper board designed to out perform other LEDs in its class. The board itself has a strong role in this LEDs perfection by reducing the heat of the LEDs so quickly they can produce their highest amount of light and last a very long time.
Expect to use only 1-2 of these high performance LEDs per 24x24x24 area in most scenarios.
Each channel is individually addressable (they can be individually dimmed) so you can adjust the perfect color for your tank.

Layout:
Channel 1 - 3 Hyper Violet and 2 CREE XT-E Royal Blue (Actinic channel) (18v @ 700mA)
Channel 2 - Royal Blue (base blue spectrum) (16.5V @ 1500mA)
Channel 3 - 3 XT-E Netural White and 2 XT-E Warm White (base white color) (16.5V @ 1500mA)
Channel 4 - Turquoise / CREE XPE2 Blue (enhanced color spectrum) (17.2V @ 700mA)
Channel 5 - - 3 Hyper Violet and 2 CREE XT-E Royal Blue (Actinic channel) (18v @ 700mA)

acrylic51

This exclusive LED, the Lumia 5.1, is perfect if you want a simple yet powerful way to setup your LED lighting.
Lumia, meaning art created with light, brings a full spectrum light to your corals/fish that really brings the colors and beauty out in them with an emphasis on keeping power consumption low.
We have taken our experiencing in designing fixtures for commercial and DIY customers and developed a chip that delivers a full spectrum punch with a small footprint on a solid copper board (tin plated) designed to out perform other LEDs in its class.
Expect to use only 1 of these high performance LEDs per 24x24x24 area in most scenarios.
Each channel is individually addressable (they can be individually dimmed) so you can adjust the perfect color for your tank.

Layout of reef version:
Channel 1 - Neutral White (base white spectrum) (36V @ 700mA)
Channel 2 - Royal Blue (base blue spectrum) (36V @ 700mA)
Channel 3 - Hyper Violet (enhanced growth) (38V @ 700mA)
Channel 4 - Deep Red / Turquoise (enhanced color spectrum) (32V @ 700mA)
Channel 5 - True Violet / Cool Blue (enhanced growth and color spectrum) (38V @ 700mA)
gin-bottom: 8px; line-height: 1.3; border: 0px none; font-family: Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; color: rgb(109, 110, 114); font-size: 12px;">
Layout of plants version:
Channel 1 - Warm White 3200K (growth spectrum) (36V @ 700mA)
Channel 2 - Cool White 6500K (base white spectrum) (36V @ 700mA)
Channel 3 - Deep Red / Royal Blue (enhanced growth and color) (33V @ 700mA)
Channel 4 - Cool White 6500K (base white spectrum) (36V @ 700mA)
Channel 5 - Warm White 3200K (growth spectrum) (36V @ 700mA)

acrylic51

Storm X LED Controller

For large scale LED installations, look no further than the Storm X LED Controller. It takes all the features of the Storm LED Controller and delivers 10 extra PWM channels - for a total of 16 PWM outputs, each running at 12-bit resolution to deliver 4096 levels of buttery-smooth dimming. These aren't the only improvements.
The LCD backlight is now driven through a 2N222 NPN transistor - this means that we have PWM control of the backlight, so that it is bright when you need it, and dim when you're away. Furthermore we weren't fully satisfied with the smoothness of the input encoder, so we implemented a filter circuit to ensure that each and every minute input is properly registered with the controller.
What does this all mean for your reef tank? Flawless control over all aspects of lightning. From geolocated sunrise and sunsets, precise delays to stagger the ramp times of each output, immensely smooth transitions via SmoothRamp dimming, to cloud and lightning effects, your lighting needs are fulfilled.
If you're interested in modifying or updating the firmware, take a look at this firmware update tutorial to see what it's all about.
[*]16x2 Character LCD Display
[*]16-channel 12-bit PWM (0-5V)
[*]4096 Dimming Levels

[*]Real-Time Clock Module
[*]Manual Sunrise/Sunset Time
Geolocated Sunrise/Sunset
Staggered Sunrise/Set Delays
Moon/Lunar Phase Simulation
Intuitive Wheel Interface
SmoothRamp Dimming
height: 20px;">SmoothRamp Clouds
[*]Cloud Channel Clustering
[*]Lightning Storm Effects
[*]Upgradeable via FTDI
Arduino Compatible
PC Fan Control
Auto-dimming LCD
Quantity
storm-x-firmware.zip
Storm-Controller-Manual.pdf

I'm favoring the Aurora over the Borealis because I'm unsure of the "lime green" LEDs......I do like that with the Aurora they are using the same lens as the Radion fixture. I am also liking the Lumia 5.2. I like the addition of the hyper violet and the added channel. Only drawback is there isn't any lenses for this puck. The 5.1 had a single can style lens that is adjustable.....I would be pairing the puck of choice with the StormX controller and drivers would be the LCC drivers by Meanwell.......

2quills

I'd actually be curious to see the lime greens in action. To me it would be a toss up between that and the Auroras. After playing around with the Hydras I don't think I'd want a puck without green. I'd give up reds before greens. But 12 May be a bit over kill. The Auroras may be the ticket if it were my choice. Only down side is that channels have mixed colors instead of individual color control. Probably not a big deal though.
I've been eyeing that controller as well.

acrylic51

I think that is1 of my hangups on the pucks.....the mixing of color. I'd honestly like each color/channel totally separate and controllable. On my cheapo fixture I have to admit that I could do without the red, and without lenses I do see a separation of green and red, but again just testing at this time. I think a fixture could easily get away with just 1 red. Not a lot of reviews of any of the pucks. There is a pretty good thread at another forum about the Lumia 5.1 and from the pics the colors look pretty good but nothing concrete though.

I'm really liking the controller. With all but unlimited abilities I could easily see adding green as an add on to the pucks or an addition and being able to dial them in totally independent as needed.....

2quills

Actually, the Borialis looks pretty good when it comes to more individual color control. I'm just concerned about that much green, cyano likes the green. I'm sure they all look pretty good though.
You looking for ideas for the display tank?

2quills

If you're going to suppliment then I'd maybe consider those Lumima 5.2's.
I threw some T5's into my canopy over the weekend for a little more supplimental options and photo taking. I need to work on my photography under led skillls a little bit more apparently. Plus I'm switching gears in preperation to start going full blown into sps and lps. Just want to have the bases covered if ya know what I mean.

acrylic51

Not sure about supplementing with T5's but still an option. I was on the thought process of adding additional LEDs Around the pucks for added control or more fine tuning but T5's might be a better option.

2quills

I don't think I really need them I just wanted em in there. Plus if one or two or both of my led fixtures went down I have something ready to go for back up.
I'd shoot for full spectrum with the leds and full control over individual colors. Or at least most of the colors. Those 5.2's look lile nice pucks too. They're Cree.