LED size

masterreef

5mm is "standard" LED size, will probably cost less per mcd of light . . . I use 6 - 5mm and have nice moonlight (478 nm).

toasterman

here is a read out on the ones i got:
Parameter: Min Typ Max Unit
Luminous Intensity: 4300 5100 5900 mcd
Viewing Angle: ~ 25 ~ Deg
PeakEmission Wavelength: ~ 470 ~ nm
Forward Voltage: 2.8 3.6 4.5 V
Reverse Voltage: ~ ~ 5 V
Forward Current: ~ 20 30 mA
Reverse Current: ~ ~ 100 uA
Operating Temperature Range: -40°C to +80°C
Storage Temperature Range: -40°C to +80°C
Lead Soldering Temperature (4mm from body) 260°C for 5 second
do you think they will still work...

sly

1. They look cool
2. They provide natural ambient light that helps reduce stress on animals at night. They're not used to being in complete darkness at night in the wild.
3. Preditors are more likely to sneak up on an unsuspecting fish in a completely dark tank. With moonlights the fish can be kept more aware of preditors (if you have fish that are not completely compatible with each other).
In my tank the fish find nice hiding spots at night with the moonlights on. They can see where to hide and they go there. Before I got my moonlights, they would just "freeze" in the tank. When the lights would come on in the morning, they would act completely disoriented for awhile until they calmed down. My green chromis would flutter its fins and looked nervous when the lights first came on. It doesn't now that I have moonlights to keep it company at night.

zap800

plus it is suspected that it acts as moodlighting so the fish get in the mood for a little nookie. wink, wink

squidd

Originally posted by zap800
plus it is suspected that it acts as moodlighting so the fish get in the mood for a little nookie. wink, wink

So, what size moonlights do I need for a 80" X 60" Queen sized bed...?
How many LEDS will it take...?
Need answer...ASAP...:jumping: