leopard shark

rescue

I' am buying a leopard shark today for my 100 gallon tank he only about 8inches right know, yes I know he will out grow the tank but I would like to know approx rate of growth, dont worry when he gets to big i'm going to give him to a local aquarium here in long beach CA.please dont lecture me cause he a lot beter of in my 100 gallon than in the 20 gallon display tank at the lfs.

risc

They average a growth of about six inches a year with proper feeding. Once they reach 15" they will require a tank of at least 250 gallons.
Jim

marc42fe

Hi there. How long could he go in the 250? I am considering a leopard for my 100 to (I.m going to up to a 1200 pond if all goes as planned)

rescue

thank you risc that is very helpful I'am currently looking for a 200 gallon tank to buy one more question for you. is the length and width of the tank more important than the overall depth when it comes to lepard sharks. reason i'am asking is there are many different sizes and shapes of tanks what do the sharks prefer more distance to swim or depth

holacanthus

Rescue sharks, particularly active sharks like leopards need room to swim,so they don't sink. I think they would prefer a tank that was long and wide, rather than wide and deep. This is just my assumption rather than experienced based knowledge, since I am an angel and trigger tpe of guy. ;) Risc could provide you with alot more info though, and do read his post on sharks in the archives.

rescue

well i got my leopard today. what an awsome fish his looks alone get your attention but his movement in the tank...... wow. my 100 gallon is more than enough room right now, i figure i have about a year to get my new tank. i will try to post some pics soon to show all you sceptics that 100 gallon will work, but i know i will need to upgrade soon...

risc

Leopards can live in a 250 until they are about 2 years old... maybe a little longer. After that they will require a 800 to 1000 and then after that start looking at a 3,500 to 10,000.
Leopards are able to lie around on the bottom of the ocean and rest so you may observe them doing that in your tank as well. They are not necessarly active all the time.

rane

Rescue where are you from..and do they have any more of them at your LFS i am also looking for one but the ones they have at my LFS are about 18inches long i am looking for a small one like yours can you give me a number that i can call or please e-mail me @ RamonSarduy@Hotmail.com
thanks

novice150

Rescue: I too would like the info on your LFS. I am sick and tired of dealing with incompetent online stores, and would be very appreciative of a good source.
Please either post the info, or email me direct at nacnacmxr2@aol.com.
Thanks

rescue

i'AM IN LONG BEACH CA IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN GETTING INFO ON THE LFS I GOT MY SHARK FROM E-MAIL ME AT RESQMAN911@ATTBI.COM

musipilot

Theres a guy on ---- selling a 9 foot long tank, I figured it out to be about 800 gallons. Grab it now, then keep your shark!

rane

yes but i think he is asking an outrageous price for that tank and that tank must weight a ton none the less moving it from its location