leopardshark

mark-24

I'm not trying to rip you or anything, and that the best thing in this hobby is to ask questions. But you should also research fish before you buy them. Also, how big is the shark? I hope that you do know that leopards do get to be over 5-6 ft long, require cooler water, and do become very destructive. But I will help you, sharks and most other carnivores need to eat seafood. You can buy silverslides at an LFS, as well as formulas 1&2, clams, scallops, and if it isnt eating a whole lot try squid, it has a very distinct odor, which will stimulate the shark to eat. Or you could go to your grocery store and buy some pretty seafood, like shrimp, crab meat, or fish filets, but make sure that it's uncooked and hasnt been seasoned or flavored. Most sharks have a pretty slow metabolism which means they dont have to eat all the time, but for a growing leopard shark try to feed it 4-5 times a week, and give it time for the food to digest. Also, keep it's diet varried, and try to include some vegetables in it's diet. And occassionally (maybe once a month), you could give the shark a little treat in the from of a gold fish, or possible a chromis. It's alot of fun to watch and has some vitamins and such that frozen dead foods dont have. Risc will probally have more to say on the subjesct, but this is what I would recommend.
-Mark

risc

Thanks Mark-24 ;)
Mark is pretty much dead on with what he recommends. I feed all my baby or juvenile leopard sharks marine supreme from the LFS, salad shrimp, and squid rings. When they reach 14-18 inches I begin feeding them large table shrimp and whole octopus from the market. I wouldn't feed them silversides personally because they are way to expensive for continous feeding and they just don't seem to like them as much. Another cheap and easy thing to feed them is fresh smelt. They LOVE fresh smelt and you can usually buy a pound of the stuff for $6. It is interesting you mentioned chromis or damselfish (same thing). I do stock my baby shark tanks with hundreds of damelfish... and I do mean hundreds. In my 125 I usually have 2-3 baby sharks with 100-200 damsels. The sharks will generally consume all 100-200 damsels in a months time as well as my regular feedings. You should not feed any sharks goldfish unless you have no other course of action. Feeding goldfish to your sharks is dangerous and they can contract parasites and infections even though it is a freshwater fish. Leopard sharks will generally eat anything with a "fishy" taste. They will also never miss a feeding. The only thing you should never feed a shark is heavily oiled fish like cod, salmon, or tuna.
Jim

mark-24

Either at an LFS or a grocery store, but it would be best if you lived near a seaport, and could go and get fresh seafood for less than at a grocery store.
-Mark