Lets see pics of your aquascaping.

eyebedam

Hey Josh You need to buy some of the rics I got. Ill do you a little better price than what
I got them listed for on --.

bullitr

here's my current rock work it will changes again soon when my calcium reactor is set up and more sps and clams are in place.

david24

There's a good article in Aquarium Fish International Magazine this month about aquascaping. Basically it says that most reef aquariums today are unnatural because of the stacking of rocks vertically on the total surface area of the back glass. It says that this doesn’t occur in the wild so why do it in your tank?
I think basically it's saying to find a real picture of the reef and try to replicate that rather than stacking rocks on top of one another in some intricate patterns that are unnatural. It aslo says less rock and more surface area on the bottom and back of the tank. So fish stay above the reef rather then in it.
It's made me rethink my aquascaping. I know my intricate pattern of rocks I have stacked would never occur on the reef.

hefner413

Originally Posted by bullitr
here's my current rock work it will changes again soon when my calcium reactor is set up and more sps and clams are in place.
That looks awesome! Great arrangement and looks super clear/clean! Great job!

mrinelfrlz

Originally Posted by eyebedam
MrineLfRlz
newB(learning)
Your purple tang looks really good. It has awesome color & looks fat & happy.
here you go a better pic of the spoiled guy

mrinelfrlz

Awesome pic. The purple tangs from the LFS around here are normally 90.00 & they look like crap.
online is were i got him

fishygurl

Teen-- It looks like you have a huge clam in your tank...If i ever get my 210 gal i would want to get this clam that is at the petstore it is about 1-1 1/2 feet long is there anything bad about having a clam this big that you know of??? --anyone can answer if they know something bad or any requirments of it other than REALLY good lights which i plan on--not tryin to hijack the thread

mrinelfrlz

Awesome pic. The purple tangs from the LFS around here are normally 90.00 & they look like crap.
i noticed you didn't do any more updates on your 180 build project
why did you quit that would have been sweet to see the progress on it from start to finish

W

wbradenpt

Originally Posted by David24
There's a good article in Aquarium Fish International Magazine this month about aquascaping. Basically it says that most reef aquariums today are unnatural because of the stacking of rocks vertically on the total surface area of the back glass. It says that this doesn’t occur in the wild so why do it in your tank?
I think basically it's saying to find a real picture of the reef and try to replicate that rather than stacking rocks on top of one another in some intricate patterns that are unnatural. It aslo says less rock and more surface area on the bottom and back of the tank. So fish stay above the reef rather then in it.
It's made me rethink my aquascaping. I know my intricate pattern of rocks I have stacked would never occur on the reef.
i actually did this almost by accident when i changed from 140g to 180g setup. during the transition (which was occurring due to a carpeting change), i had to put all the rocks and corals into a huge 150g rubbermaid thing that i bought from a tractor supply store. i think they use it to feed cattle. anyway, everything was pretty much on the bottom and they swam above "the reef" for the vast majority of the time. kind of reminded me of the way the reef looked when i was snorkeling in hawaii. looked really good from above.
my new setup is longer and not as tall, and the rocks are all on the lower half of the tank, so it is sort of as you describe. i'm hoping that eventually the sps grow up towards the light, but the fish really do swim actively a lot more than they used to in the previous setup. and they do tend to swim in the open water part of the tank (except for the pajama wrasse who likes to dart in and out of the rockwork).

cgj

Here's mine. Yes, thats a 1984 Cobra Rattler, hit by a sidewinder missile, sunken at the bottom. The coralline growth has made it look very good. I'll have much better pics in the future, as this is older and the tank looks better now.

J

jrthomas40

Originally Posted by Hefner413
well done wbradenpt!
Here's my 55 gal.

that is an awesome tank...did you have that made??