Let's talk aerobic bacteria, Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter.

spanko

So we know that these bacteria that convert ammonia into nitrite and nitrite into nitrate reside on the hard surfaces in our tanks. Like the glass, substrate and rockwork. My questions are:
When we clean the glass with our magfloats what happens to the bacteria, I know they are microscopic, but do they get wiped off into the water column only to land somewhere again?
Do these bacteria resided on our coral hard surfaces, the underside or even the topside of a Montipora for instance? Or maybe on the branches of Acros's or Milli's?
In the words of CFR................Discuss.

keebler

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2825874
So we know that these bacteria that convert ammonia into nitrite and nitrite into nitrate reside on the hard surfaces in our tanks. Like the glass, substrate and rockwork. My questions are:
When we clean the glass with our magfloats what happens to the bacteria, I know they are microscopic, but do they get wiped off into the water column only to land somewhere again?
Do these bacteria resided on our coral hard surfaces, the underside or even the topside of a Montipora for instance? Or maybe on the branches of Acros's or Milli's?
In the words of CFR................Discuss.
Hmmm. That's interesting I never put that much thought into it. I just took it for granted that they resided on the live rock and sand. My theory is that they do not reside elsewhere when pushed into the water column because they would not be able to escape the flow...they just die only to produce more ammonia and nitrite. I'm of course not speaking from study or experimentation, but from personal thoughts. Anyone else?

nordy

I would think that when in the water column, they circulate and if they find an uncolonized surface they can attach and then start growing. On LR and corals in an established tank, any place that could be colonized by the good bacteria should already have a colony/film of those bacteria already present so those circulating probably wouldn't be able to settle out of the water column, except onto places like the glass that was just cleaned, and would keep circulating. While there are nutrients (ammonia, nitrites) in the water column that sustain the bacteria, moving around with the flow in a tank probably isn't conducive to reproduction and growth.
I have a canister filter in my tank and regularly chaange out the paper cartridge so whatever I scrape off my glass gets filtered out. I change the filter 2 or more times a week.

reefkprz

My $0.02
most research I have reaad on biofilm forming bacteria indicates that the bacteria form a rather strong bond with the surface, the older the bacteriological colony is the stronger the bond. so once a colony gets established on your glass a magfloat is very unlikely to remove it, it may knock loose young portions with low bond strength. scraping the glass with a razor will may remove a signifigant portion of the biofilm due the to ability of the razor to cut the bond from the smooth glass.
the bacteria kicked up in this manner (mag float or razor) floats as microplankton and is often a welcome source of food to many corals and microfauna some settles out of the column and some get removed via filtration such as skimemrs ETC, the stuff that settles may or may not colonize on the surface it lands on depending on the present bacterial count and food availability in the given location.
as for bacteria on corals, yes various forms of bacteria colonize the surface and slime coats of our corals, up to and over 1000 strains of bacteria on a single coral, as well as noting that the bacterial colonies inhabiting the corals shift dominance in times that the coral is stressed. I am not sure if nitrosomas and nitrobacter are included in the coral inhabiting species of bacteria or not.

natclanwy

Aerobic bacteria will inhabit every surface of your aquarium including the substrate, liverock, filters, glass, and inside of tubing. There also is a certain amount that resides in the water column. I had never given much thought to scraping the glass but either way I believe the bacteria that resides on the glass is probably an insignificant portion of all of the bacteria that resides in your tank.

spanko

Thank you all for posting. I guess I was trying to figure out if as our coral grows does it actually increase our biofiltration via these bacteria. Like adding more rock surface area, so is adding coral surface area.
Just wondering one day, that's all!

bang guy

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2831454
Thank you all for posting. I guess I was trying to figure out if as our coral grows does it actually increase our biofiltration via these bacteria. Like adding more rock surface area, so is adding coral surface area.
Just wondering one day, that's all!
The nitrifying bacteria are not able to live on the slime of most corals. The corals do increase biofiltration to a very small degree because the zooxanthellae in the coral flesh are able consume ammonia and nitrate directly from the water column.
Most tanks have 4 or 5 times the biofiltration required so there's really no need to worry about increasing it. The only worry is getting rid of the end product, nitrate.

dallassvt

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///forum/post/2831466
The nitrifying bacteria are not able to live on the slime of most corals. The corals do increase biofiltration to a very small degree because the zooxanthellae in the coral flesh are able consume ammonia and nitrate directly from the water column.
Most tanks have 4 or 5 times the biofiltration required so there's really no need to worry about increasing it. The only worry is getting rid of the end product, nitrate.

That has always been my problem!!