Let's write a Book!!!!

rykna

Just wanted to know if anyone else was interested in my idea.
It would be really cool if every one on this forum could get together and publish a Saltwater book. Maybe have a few main writers and put together a collection of the threads, ideas and pics and such. We would incude every ones name in the book. I would love to do this!!!!! It would be a huge project, but I think it would be a really awesome book. Let me know what you think!
Thanks,
Rykna
rykna.olson@gmail.com

fishygurl

Oh My Gosh that is one of the best ideas that I have ever heard!
I would like to be a main writer/helper.
I just noticed your in Minnesota! I am too! I live in the twin cities, Burnsville to be exact.
Are kids allowed to help be a writer?
(I almost always get A's in school) ( I never got a C+ or lower)
I want to help soooo bad!
Keep me/everyone updated and we can start to write a book!
I am very organized.
Maybe you should list jobs that we could do on this thread or something.
I am soo excited! (I've ALWAYS wanted to write a book I actually started two)
By the way I wouldn't be able to do the Chemistry/Plumbing and stuff like that cause I haven't really read too much on that type of stuff. I would love to help in the fish/invert info. section.

rykna

That would be awesome!!!!!!!!!
I was thinking of writing the book based on the forum titles. Everyone's experience is important young and old.
New Hobbyists
Reef Tanks
Fish Photography
Equipment & DIY
Aggressive Fish
Disease & Treatment
Nano Tanks
Clownfish & Anemones
I would be happy to get together with you a chat about it. I live in Cottage Grove, MN.

fishygurl

Come on is there no one else that would WANT to help write a book on saltwater aquariums and saltwater fish/ inverts/corals/etc. ???
:notsure: :thinking: :notsure:

alyssia

Duh, I forgot to add, I would like to help but would need to work out the details first, like how much time/long it would take to finish, etc. I have three kids and am busy alllllll the time, but it sounds like great fun!
Are you talking like a book we would get published?

fishygurl

well if it is going to be a real published book it will take awhile.
Rykna, Just to let you know I will hope to be a big help and I will be here start to finish no matter how many weeks/months/years it will take becuae I am a kid I have the time of the world(Or however that saying goes!)
How long are you planning on taking time with this book?

rykna

Yep this would be an actual book that we would all be the authors of, and would be published for the public to buy.
I need to get the okay from the administrators of this web site and such. It would include everyone on this forum, with their okay ofcourse.
I would gladly love the help of anyone interested in being a main part of the production.
I was laughing over the thought of people reading the thread "What's the 1st thing you wish you had known when you 1st started a salt water tank!!!!!!"
I think this book would be one of the coolest salt water books out there!
Thanks all

rykna

Not sure how long.......
Depends..... It could be published as soon as Christmas if we had a army, but I guessing more like spring, if all goes well.

drewissett

I think that this is a wonderful idea, and an admiral goal, however, I think there could be several problems (not to burst your bubble, I really like this idea)
1.) Diffrences in oppinion- There are several major issues that people have disagreements over (i.e.tank sizes(TANG!), lighting ), and countless of small ones (i.e. species size/compatibility, individual lighting requirements)... To remedy this one person would have to be the chief editor (presumably you). How would you settle the vast diffrences in oppinions from equally experienced hobbiests?
2.) Compilation/Publishing- It would be extremely time intensive to compile this wealth of knowledge. Books are not easily written, formatted, printed, published etc... IMO this would be time intensive and difficult.
3.) Earnings- Ok , so say that it gets published, what happens to the money (if any)? are you giong to split it? How so? Do you plan to keep track of who contributed and the most and give them a larger share (as they probably deserve?)
I don't mean to stomp on this idea, it would be fun and has potential... but there are some defenite flaws that need to be worked out....
I will help however I can.
Andrew

rykna

Not a problem at all. One needs to see all side of a idea before taking acitons.
I'm not to worried about the publishing side of it. There are kits you can buy and basically publish your own book.
--As for the royalties of the book there are endless options....one idea that came to mind right away is that instead of squabbling over who gets what, we could pick a wild life foundation to be the receiver of the money. Or a company like a reef farm.
--Time I have....
--I do have experience on how to write, publish books.
The differnces of opinions is a very improtant part of the book. It shows that there is more than one way to succeed in this mysterious hobby. That is the greatest gift we have as human beings. The gift of creative thought. Each of us has had success where others have failed or visa versa. The book would reflect that. I think i would be a good idea to first introduce the basic way of setting up a ___________(reef tank) and then continue with our experiences and failures.
Anyhow.....I look forward to hear more ideas and thoughts!
Thankyou Andrew!
Rykna

drewissett

I'm behind you all the way,
I would be happy to help in any way I can.
Defenitly like the idea of giving the $$ to a reef farm,
its great way to protect our natural reefs!

fishygurl

I have one question.
When we start writing a book are you going to continue to let people join in and help or is there a dead line to when you have to volunteer?
Can you add threads onto this thread anyway?
Just to be more Organized.
Maybe we could start more threads like one for the people that want to help out in the fish discussion,reef tanks,new hobbysists,etc.
Just throwing out some Ideas so we can get started(by the way when do you plan on telling us what to do and when to get started sharing our thoughts on the book and some stuff we can put in it?
I know (not trying to take over) We could start writing a table of contents!
EXAMPLE:
fish discussion
reef tanks
etc.
than when some one has an idea they could write it down like
FishyGurl:
Short Cuts
Fish Profiles
Invert Profiles
Coral Profiles
Rykna, since your I guess the leader You can add which ever ones sound good to you so you would revise the list:
Fish Discussion
Reef Tanks
New Hobbysists
Fish Profiles
Invert Profiles
Coral Profiles
Etc.
And If you don't like one you could not write it.
If you think one is to close to the other you could do something like this
Fish Discussion/Fish Profiles
And if you don't get what the chapter would be about you could qoute the person who wrote the idea down and say you don't know what the chapter would be about and to explain their thinking
EXAMPLE:
(Qoute) FishyGurl (Qoute)
Short Cuts
and then who ever would reply like:
FishyGurl:
It would be a chapter about things you could do to make things easier/faster/cheaper example: Instead of buying sea weed from a LFS you can go and buy Nori Sheets from a store.(alot cheaper) Or to cycle your tank faster you can drop in a raw shrimp
Sorry if it seems I might be taking over I just have alot of Ideas and LOVE to type!

rykna

That sounds like a great idea! I'm thinking of using some standard guidelines....give by some book or another.....and then inserting experiences and comments by people here on the forum, just like you suggested!
I deffinatley want to a have photo section!!!!! I hope to start Monday, and everyone is welcome, there will be no cut off date for participation.
Thanks all!!!!