LFS and crown of thorns?

jtoz116

hey everyone,
i was at my local lfs today and i noticied they had a crown of thorns star for sale. Why would anyone buy that? I found it hard to believe that they actually would try and pawn that off to a person who doesn't know better

candycane

There are several that go by that name, but usually only one that looks like the actual Acanthaster planci. Would be cool if the LFS would let you take a picture though?
Just don't seem to see many starfish with 10 to 20 arms that are covered with spines.

m0nk

There are lots of livestock that are sold that eat coral, so even if it were a crown of thorns it's not a big deal as long as they provide that information. It's also like caulerpa, where you wouldn't want it getting into the local ecosystem, so there might be restrictions on selling it in certain places.

ophiura

The only real challenge being that a true crown of thorns is venemous :( I do hope they know what they have!

candycane

I know that if I heard one popped up in a LFS within 100 miles, I would drive to see it. I mean how odd is it to see one pop up in a LFS? LOL.

florida joe

The crown-of-thorns starfish (Acanthaster planci) is a starfish with thorn-like spines sprouting all over its body for protection. These echinoderms grow to a diameter of up to 40 cm across and have 12 to 19 arms extending from their center. They are the largest starfish in the world.
Crown-of-thorns starfishIf accidentally touched or stepped on by humans, the starfish's long spines (which release a neurotoxin) are capable of pricking and stinging, inflicting great pain that can last for hours, as well as nausea and vomiting. Frequently, the area around the puncture turns a dark blue (erythema) and begins to swell (edema). The swelling may persist for a number of days or weeks. If you are pricked by a crown of thorns, it is important to ensure any remnants of the spine are completely removed.
Crown-of-thorns starfish are found on coral reefs in the tropics ranging from the Red Sea, throughout the Indian and Pacific Oceans, and all the way to the Pacific coast of Panama.
The starfish is a coral reef predator (a corallivore) and preys on the coral polyps by climbing onto them, extruding its stomach over them, and releasing digestive enzymes to then absorb the liquefied tissue. They feed alone at night, maintaining a constant distance between themselves and other crown-of-thorns starfish. During times of food shortage, these creatures can live on their energy reserves for over six months

jtoz116

i have a picture of it on my camera phone but i have to try again tomorrow to send the pic to my computer it's not working right now.....but for now i can describe it....it had 12 arms..all black and had many many protruding spikes all over its body and arms...positive it was a crown of thorns...

J

jesses89

My LFS has one for sale.... looks just like the pic Joe posted except not so fat?... well anyways the LFS has had it for a while now... wonder why no one would want to buy it?
the price on it is only 8.99 ...
im from cali too... would be a tragedy if this was released in any of our beaches.....

lion_crazz

Not an uncommon animal around here. A few LFS get them in from time to time. You just need to know about how incredibly venomous they are and how dangerous they can be to your aquarium.

perfectdark

My LFS Just got 2 very very odd star fish in. Not the crown of thorns but man creepy looking. Kinda like a mix between a brittle star and an octopus I will try to get the name. Unless Ophiura beats me to it, LOL... very cool looking.
Ok so I searched around and found it was called a Basket Starfish... And then began to read on it, which then I found myself being navigated to a site that had a very very familiar sound to it... And I laughed because I am almost 100% positive that someone on here is familiar with "The Ophiuroidea" Any of this a ringin a bell...
LOL. A am only assuming but Ophiura, is this your site?
Anyway very very cool looking animal but stated that its not easily kept.
pic:

ophiura

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
http:///forum/post/2526884
My LFS Just got 2 very very odd star fish in. Not the crown of thorns but man creepy looking. Kinda like a mix between a brittle star and an octopus I will try to get the name. Unless Ophiura beats me to it, LOL... very cool looking.
Ok so I searched around and found it was called a Basket Starfish... And then began to read on it, which then I found myself being navigated to a site that had a very very familiar sound to it... And I laughed because I am almost 100% positive that someone on here is familiar with "The Ophiuroidea" Any of this a ringin a bell...
LOL. A am only assuming but Ophiura, is this your site?
Anyway very very cool looking animal but stated that its not easily kept.
pic:

It is Gorgonocephalus or similar.
Yes, it is my site
I haven't updated it in years though :(
Not easily kept at all, and too large for most tanks. They are disappointingly nocturnal, but can be kept by those who are willing to put in the late nights and buy a very large tank