LFS and feeding potential acquisitions

florida joe

I stated in a post that you should always see a fish eat before you buy it. I stand by this statement 100 % BUT this is something I feel must be stressed. When we see the fish we are going to buy eat we are now in all likely hood going to have a fish that is going to introduce waste into the holding bag. We take the fish home as consciences hobbyists go through our acclamation ritual. And during this ritual what are we doing? You got it. We are exposing our fish to ammonia. What I do and what I would like my fellow hobbyists to think about is adding a product like prime to the water we transported the fish home in as we acclimate it, this should ensure that our new addition it not exposed to toxic levels of ammonia

chain

Good point Joe. I do exactly that and it has never failed me thus far. Its truly amazing how much waste a little fish can produce, albeit it is in a very small volume of water for transport; however ammonia builds up quickly and the affects are noticeable within hours of a fish exposed to substantial amounts of it.

monsinour

Are you saying that once a fish eats, it starts to eliminate wastes immedately? I know it takes me a while to do my business after a meal but I was not sure how long it took a fish to do this.

2quills

Well I know that more times than not, whenever I've purchased fish that by the time I've gotten them home they have already deficated in the bag.

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/383978/lfs-and-feeding-potential-acquisitions#post_3361913
Well I know that more times than not, whenever I've purchased fish that by the time I've gotten them home they have already deficated in the bag.
I agree with that as the water is always clear when the fish goes into the bag and its never clear when I put it into the bucket for acclimation.
When I acclimate, I pour all the water into a 5 gallon bucket and start the 2 per second drip. I then tip the bucket onto an angle and scoup out water leaving just enough for hte fish to swim in. Doesnt that eliminate enough ammonia and having the drip replenish the water with ammonia free water work enough? I dont want to have to add chemicals to acclimate the fish.

florida joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/383978/lfs-and-feeding-potential-acquisitions#post_3361899
Are you saying that once a fish eats, it starts to eliminate wastes immedately? I know it takes me a while to do my business after a meal but I was not sure how long it took a fish to do this.
I was going to respond to your bodily functions but thought better of it. First we cannot assume that we were the only ones asking to see fish in a holding tank eat. So there is a good chance that the fish we are interested in have been eating well throughout the day. And if not have you not observed your fish after you have feed them introducing waste matter into your tank? This of course is not what they have just eaten but what is already in their gut. My recommendations are just that recommendations you of course have the final say in how you handles new arrivals

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida joe http:///forum/thread/383978/lfs-and-feeding-potential-acquisitions#post_3361927
I was going to respond to your bodily functions but thought better of it. First we cannot assume that we were the only ones asking to see fish in a holding tank eat. So there is a good chance that the fish we are interested in have been eating well throughout the day. And if not have you not observed your fish after you have feed them introducing waste matter into your tank? This of course is not what they have just eaten but what is already in their gut. My recommendations are just that recommendations you of course have the final say in how you handles new arrivals
It may have sounded sarcastic or wrong, but I was being serious. I was not aware that the feeding actions triggered the elimination process. When I feed my tank, I make sure the newer fish get their food and focus on them. Right now, thats just the PFF and I havent seen him eliminate during or right after eating.

deejeff442

i also have a battery (9 volt) operated air stone pump i put in the bag or bags for the ride home.
where i get my fish is 1 1/2 hour ride i figure it couldnt hurt.

btldreef

I agree with you. I usually bring a 5G bucket with me, I don't like putting fish in bags if I can avoid it. My LFS's are good to me and will fill the 5G at least half way, drop in some Prime and on my way. I also use prime as I'm acclimating and with all water changes just as a stress coat/reliever (I don't know how else to describe it).

1snapple

I just bring my own large container for the LFS to put the fish in, acclimate it, take out the inner container, (drilled holes in slightly smaller inner container)
with the fish in it, and allow tank water into the inner container, then let him/ her swim out.