LFS in Massachusetts/NH

jbeck

Curious who is in MA and what LFS you use? 2 good ones i have been to are tropic isle in framingham and inlandreef in nashua

tiffbritty

little shop of pets in portsmith n.h is a great place they have a great selection and knowledge. give them a try i'd think you would like them.

Hi,
I have been going to one in Quincy, Mass called Lovly pets, They have JUST fish and a huge selection of cured LR..
Is 6.99 good for fuji and 7.99 for the other darker stuff a good price??
Thanking you kindly, Kim :eek:

fishie

I've been going to LP in Quincy also - now under new ownership, and looking better and better every week. Previous owner had let the place go, but new ownership is cleaning it up - I am bullish on this place over the next few years.
I've recently purchased 6-7 corals from them and all are thriving.
Fishie

Fishy,
Ya i liked the new owner.. He is helpful
I got LR today and I have hitch hikers already and i think feather duster things on the rock too....
Where in Mass are you?? I am in Avon but work in Braintree...
Km

jbeck

Im in harvard MA and work in marlboro. $6.99 is avg local price for LR. I plan on mailordering most of mine as it is only $3 delivered that way.
I might have to make the trip down to quincy to check that place out though.
I hear there is also a good place in cambridge sort of near the science museum.

J

jenmca

Any thoughts on the ***** in Nashua? This is where we bought the tank and the initial "cycling" damsels. They seem it have a lot of fish, although not much for inverts.

jbeck

As far as petcos go i think that is the nicest one ive been to. One of the guys who works in the fish dept also keeps reefs at home and know a bunch.
they do have a lot of fish that they sell with very little info to unsuspecting people. example last time i was there they has a sweetlips in one of the tanks also a tank full of manderins with no live rock or anything.

cjburden

I've been going to lovely pets also. Steve (the new owner) is very very helpful, although somewhat set in his ways I think. He doesn't like the idea of cycling a tank with live rock (which everyone seems to think is a great idea) and he's a little hesitant on certain other ideas too. He is however very helpful and pretty knowledgeable. His prices are probably average for a LFS I'd say, meaning I've seen people quote higher prices, and I've seen people quote lower. He will cut you a deal here and there if you purchase a lot from him, and he will just sit around and chat with you if he has the free time. He even gave me free delivery on my tank stand because I couldn't fit it into a dodge neon and I'm only right around the corner anyways ;)
I'm probably gonna try and check out some other local places pretty soon, but at least for me I can't beat the convienence of lp.

nickoz

i have been to exoticmarinefish in everett. It is a pretty small place maybe 20 tanks or so, they can order anything you want. I havent gotten any livestock from them yet but I am thinking about it, prices seem pretty good.
the ***** is nashua is the nicest ***** I have been to ever, I was there to get a couple dry goods last week and I was very suprised, but it is still a *****.
I go to inlandreef in nashua nh, tropic isle in natick ma, seaworld in salem nh, and skiptons in boston ma.

M

marcandkelly

I normally go to Little Shop of Pets in Portsmouth or PJs on route 1 in Saugus.
Little Shop of Pets have a great staff and take the time to help you out and answer questions. They also have good prices on fish and LR.
PJs is good depending on who you get. Some people will try to sell you the shirt on your back while others are very particular on what they let go. It is kind of a hit or miss... Selection is good if you get there Friday or Saturday but often picked over by SUnday.
Tried the shop in Beverly once but was not very impressed.

J

jenmca

I went to tropic isle in framingham ma last night and it is by far the best LFS I have found in the area. Fish Nook in Action, Pets Pets Pets in Westford and Tropical pets in Chelmsford all have much less selection and IMHO less healthy looking tanks and fish. Tropic Isle did seem more pricey from some dry goods, inverts and coral though.

jbeck

OUt of those other 3 you listed, could you give a rundown of how their selection and pricing of SW livestock is? I live in Harvard and have never been to any of those 3. All pretty close to me.

J

jenmca

Pets pets pets in Westford on Carlisle Road off of 495. They had LR and LS, but only a few SW tanks. Fish Nook in Acton had just a few tanks also, but no LS and I can't recall...but don't think LR. They are in the plaza with Donelans and Goulds on 2A in Acton. The place in Chelmsford, I'm not sure if I have the name right, he is right off the Drum Hill Rotary where Rt. 3 and 495 intersect, but is the best of those three. IMO the fish in the other 2 didn't even look healthy so I didn't check prices. The Chelmsford guy had LR, inverts and a better selection, but still no where near the place in Framingham. I guess it's handy to know where LFSs are for dry goods, etc though in a pinch.

rickycobra

I go to fintastic fish in plainville mass. they have some of the best tanks I have ever seen,10 reefs, the smallest one being 75 gallons. 20 fish only 75 gallon tanks. They can get anything. I just would not by any dry goods from them. Big time mark up, but the live stock prices are pretty damn good.
www.fintasticfish.com check them out
ricky

jbeck

Out of curiousity and boredom i went to the one in chelmsford and the one in westford today.
Chelmsford: Had about a dozen sw tanks, mostly empty. What fish they did have and inverts were very small and pricey. They had LR for $7.99/lb that looked like concrete, some of the worst ive seen.
Westford: Had 1 large reef tank witha few mushroom corals ($50 each) and about 8 sw tanks with not much of anything in them..Saw some dead fish in the FW tanks.
Id go to ***** before i return to either of them..

cjburden

heard very good things about fintastic fish also. gonna try and get down there to check it out one of these days.

justdavidp

Uncle Ned's Fish Factory in Millis (Located on Route 109 at the Millis Medway Line) Is fantastic.
All Things Fishy In Marlborough is a good choice too.
David